New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 mustang gt vs 2002 trans am ws6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 mustang gt vs 2002 trans am ws6?

Is there really that much power difference between the two? I mean, I REALLY want a ws6 but my mom runs a Ford Dealer and the odds of someone trading a ws6 in for a ford are pretty slim. I can get a really really good deal on a mustang but Im just trying to decide if I should wait or bite the bucket and get the mustang...
Old 03-12-2006, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there is. Not just stock out of the box power, but the LS1 will respond MUCH better to bolt ons.

Mustang is a good car, but different than an F-body. Not as 'sporty', or as much of a muscle car.

For a Mustang to have that kind of power you need to get a Mach 1 or an 03/04 Cobra.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

Had the 05 Stang, raced a 99 Camaro w/ a few simple bolt-ons and DR's, he took me by about a car maybe a little more. I'd say you can't go wrong with either car (I'm sure lots will disagree *Ford haters*). As a side note, I got rid of my Mustang a few months ago...I'm looking to invest in a T/A can't wait to see how powerful the 5.7 really is firsthand.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

Well I think I could either get a 2005-06 mustang gt or a 2004-05 mach 1. What I really want is a Trans Am but I don't think thats gonna happen.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

So what exactly is a "really really good deal" on the Mustang?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 78transam_inprogress
Well I think I could either get a 2005-06 mustang gt or a 2004-05 mach 1. What I really want is a Trans Am but I don't think thats gonna happen.
The Mach 1 was 03-04. The only 05+ Mustangs are the v6, GT, Saleen and the up-and-coming Shelby GT-500.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ipitythefools
Had the 05 Stang, raced a 99 Camaro w/ a few simple bolt-ons and DR's, he took me by about a car maybe a little more. I'd say you can't go wrong with either car (I'm sure lots will disagree *Ford haters*). As a side note, I got rid of my Mustang a few months ago...I'm looking to invest in a T/A can't wait to see how powerful the 5.7 really is firsthand.
I think there are very few *ford haters* on this site, pretty stereotypical statement. Did you have the bolt ons or the Camaro? I think a LS1 with a few bolt ons and DR's should win by more than a car. There is like a 60 hp difference and the weight difference. Good luck finding a TA though, you'll love it!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

The Ford hater statement was said as a joke. The Camaro had the bolt-ons, I think the only thing it lacked was a driver.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Ford did not underrate the 05GT as GM did with the F-Bodies.

With an 05GT expect to make about 260Peak RWHP Vs the 290 (or so people say) of a stock LS1. Also, LS1s are sure to have more torque and probably have the better curve...
Old 03-12-2006, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

I think the only thing it lacked was a driver.
Most DEFINITELY if it didn't take an '05 GT by about 2 buslengths!! Sorry but those cars are most definitely for folks who want to have a sporty LOOKING car but don't want to actually deal with the hassles of owning a truly FAST performance car. A bolt on LS1 Camaro with DR's should have blown it out of the water.

That having been said, there are very few genuine Ford "haters" on this site, most of us like and respect 'Stangs, I do myself... the '05 Stangs are hot looking cars they are just seriously slow. You have to ask yourself what's truly important to you, if styling and comfort are more important to you (and they are to some folks even car guys) then by all means get the GT it's not a bad car at all... but if it's more important to you to know you can OWN 99% of potential opponents that may line up next to you at a stoplight... then there's no comparison between the GT and the WS6.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

What is a "Mustang" ???
Old 03-12-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Addict

Yes LS1s are probably the best motor you can get to perform with a few simple bolt ons you can produce some power easily and cam along with heads you could be in the 400 HP range with a tune and free flowing exhaust compared to the Ford motors as they dont seem to do the same as the LSX engines. and we dont hate Ford just the A-Holes who think there little GTs and Cobras can beat anything out there. Hell the guy who runs this board Nineball just got a Mustang GT lol.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevespewterZ
there are very few genuine Ford "haters" on this site, most of us like and respect 'Stangs, I do myself... the '05 Stangs are hot looking cars they are just seriously slow. You have to ask yourself what's truly important to you, if styling and comfort are more important to you (and they are to some folks even car guys) then by all means get the GT it's not a bad car at all... but if it's more important to you to know you can OWN 99% of potential opponents that may line up next to you at a stoplight... then there's no comparison between the GT and the WS6.
It was a JOKE!! Lol man you GM guys and your no sense of humor...j/k j/k just busting *****. I do agree with saying that you should get wha you want, even if it may mean waiting for the WS6. Besides your like 17 and in my ripe old age of 19 ( ) I can say that you have plenty of time to get that T/A.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

It was a JOKE!!
I know I know dude it's all good.

All I know is Mustangs aren't rice... and the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by stevespewterZ
I know I know dude it's all good.

All I know is Mustangs aren't rice... and the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

If all goes well tomorrow then we'll be on the same side buddy On a sidenote: not to try and highjack the thread or be a double poster but is 24 G's too much for an '02 with 22k miles?
Old 03-12-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28LS1camaroguy
Yes LS1s are probably the best motor you can get to perform with a few simple bolt ons you can produce some power easily and cam along with heads you could be in the 400 HP range with a tune and free flowing exhaust compared to the Ford motors as they dont seem to do the same as the LSX engines. and we dont hate Ford just the A-Holes who think there little GTs and Cobras can beat anything out there. Hell the guy who runs this board Nineball just got a Mustang GT lol.
I would say more like 400 RWHP range and 470HP with a small cam and heads.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

well just giving him the ballpark area of HP lol. so you got 470 HP to the flywheel and 400 to the wheels from a TR224 and AFR 205 heads??? got any video clips SmaknaSS??? and you got NOS to that doesnt count lol.
Old 03-12-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fords are slow slow cars. No real power unless yu get a supercharged SVT. GTs are crap super crap. get a f body if you want a better car that is much faster and built better
Old 03-12-2006, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBenz
Fords are slow slow cars. No real power unless yu get a supercharged SVT. GTs are crap super crap. get a f body if you want a better car that is much faster and built better
I'd like to see how you fair against a 03/04 cobra, or a GT (I think the GT will spank you). Im willing to bet you dont do too hot. F-Bodies arent faster in stock trim than either of the blue ovals you mentioned, engine build quality is a hot topic between the 2, some of the GT's and Cobras had some problems w/their heads over heating, but other than that they are great motors. And the interior quality of a cobra etc. is better than our cars. I got mine because I like the looks of it, I like my interior, and I like the LS1, but just because a car didnt come from the General doesnt make it crap.

Edit: If your refering to a Mustang GT, then I take it back about spankin ya, but they still have nice interiors!
Old 03-12-2006, 03:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Trust
If your refering to a Mustang GT, then I take it back about spankin ya, but they still have nice interiors!
Always the optimist eh? Lol.

Quick Reply: 2005 mustang gt vs 2002 trans am ws6?