General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

A/C experts

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 02:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C experts

How do you know if your A/C condensor is bad, what are the symptoms?

I suspect maybe mine is getting very hot when I put my A/C on. My car runs amazingly cool with it off, if I turn it on, the temp gauge will literally go right past the 210 degree mark in a matter of 4-5 minutes and KEEP going if I let it right into the red. When I turn the A/C off it will cool right down to normal in minutes.

Cruising on the highway with the A/C "on" is really the only time I can use it, I presume because I have all that extra ram air flowing through the condensor and radiator. But it still gets hotter than normal and on a hot day might get hot enough to detonate a little.

I had a new compressor installed by the dealer 4 months ago. A/C blows ice cold, the pulley is free spinning nicely.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Im gonna go ahead and guess that both your fans are coming on which if that is so then yes your condensor is clogged. Did they flush the system when they installed the new compressor?If not then your old compressor parts are probably still floating through the system and clogging it.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Are you absolutely sure when you turn your AC on, that your cooling fans come on? Especially the high speed fan? Make 100% sure that they are both coming on. To me this is what sounds like could be your problem.If your A/C condenser was internally clogged the A/C would NOT blow ice cold at anytime...If your condenser was blocked by something externally, the car would overheat all the time regardless if the AC was on or not. An internal clog of your AC condenser is not going to inhibit air flow through it...check the fans to make sure there coming on, than let us know what you got.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Travis99LS1
Are you absolutely sure when you turn your AC on, that your cooling fans come on? Especially the high speed fan? Make 100% sure that they are both coming on. To me this is what sounds like could be your problem.If your A/C condenser was internally clogged the A/C would NOT blow ice cold at anytime...If your condenser was blocked by something externally, the car would overheat all the time regardless if the AC was on or not. An internal clog of your AC condenser is not going to inhibit air flow through it...check the fans to make sure there coming on, than let us know what you got.
The fans are perfect. Both fans run at the same time every time, they never run seperate. They are either both on low or both on high. They both come on low when the car gets to operating temp sitting in the driveway and the coolant starts to circulate. Then if I walk over and turn the A/C on "max", the fans immedialtely both go on high. I've driven my car around with the A/C on while it was heating up and pulled over a few times to check the fans and they are always running on high. There's nothing blocking the front of the condensor. Coolant is full. T-stat is ok. And again, the car runs friggin cool as a cumcumber with the A/C of in heavy traffic, 90 degree day. Trun on the A/C and in 4-5 minutes its game over, detonation will start if I don't turn it off. Buit on the highway things will reamin ok. Even if I slow down to stop for 2 seconds to pay a toll, it'll rise in temp until I get moving again.