Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Opinoins please!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Opinoins please!!

ok, i have a 2002 trans am ws6.. 6 speed car.. as much as i love it its been nothing but headaches.. the clutch has never worked properly since day 1.. ive replaced every component and have fried 2 clutches just to have a best of a 2.0 60' A few weeks ago i made a rather large order just to have it work properly again.. but since it was backordered for 13 days i canceled.. in that wait it dawned on me to convert to an automatic...and after riding in my freinds 98 camaro cuting 1.5 60's its very tempting to swap.. but is it worth it??? If i do so i want overdive!!! No 350 or 400's whatsoever!! Does anyone run 200's or 700's??? and can a manual pcm be setup for an automatic through a simple tune?? since the car was a manual i went with 4.10 gears which isnt bad with overdrive.. but will a 236/230 cam be to much for an auto?? The car is a weekend warrior..
Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

You'll need a PCM that is tuned for an automatic. You'll need the transmission section of the wiring harness to plug into your PCM. In the conversion section of LS1Tech you can can find the harness layout and where to plug the ends in. The harness wires plug right in and you have to run a 12 volt source in it. You can do that or trade someone harnesses that wants to convert to 6speed.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Hmmm.. I read today in a hot rodding magazine that TCI has a stand alone box for the new style trannys that is pretty much the PCM that the trans needs to function. it mounts to the tranny and you can tune it with a laptop. they were doing a 57 chevy NON pcm car of course.. I Have EFI live live so I may be able to find a 2002 automatic tune?? get the harness and go from there?? Ill read the sticky and post any ?'s that i cant find... I appreciate anyones help or input.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:05 PM
Launching!

ok.. heres my questions...

1. I know the manual trans radiator has no cooler... will a larger aftermarket cooler serve justice in cooling?? i have no ac condesor so itd be cake to install and work with.

2. as far as getting the parts.. there is a wrecked 00' camaro in my local junkyard i can aquire everything.... BUT!! Is the v6 tranny same as v8??? I will get the tranny built.. so whatever tranny i can get for cheap will be the ticket..

3. driveshaft length?? are manual and atous same length??

4. my cam.. will a 236/230 give me fits on the street?? the car is a toy but will never be a trailor queen.. Im not bothered by radical setups as long as it wont stall out at lights or need to idle at 1500 and up.

any help would be great!! thanks!!
Old 03-13-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need the water in the radiator to do the fast cool down of the fluid. An additional air to air cooler after would help.