LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

160deg stat

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160deg stat

Alright, I got a Hypertech 160 Degree PowerStat.

I know where the stat is at, and my dad is going to help me install it, aginst his 'better judgment' and all that. So, is there any TIPS that a old school hot rodder like my dad wouldn't know about installing it? Any other neccecites that I need before I install? Hydra said my stock fan switch will be alright, and that I will still get heat out of the heater, can anyone back up his statments?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

First you have to drain this liquid (forget what its called) down from under the car so that it doesnt gush out of the cover when you unbolt it. Then simply pry it out and put the new stat in. Then refill with that liquid and then tighten it back up. In the manual it says to torque it to a certan ft. lbs. but when we did that, we broke the bolts so just hand tighten and thats what I did and it all worked out well.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck...I usually just let the car cool off completely and then pull the intake tract. I have my new stat ready. Pull the two bolts and pop the housing off. Bend the hose back to block flow and all is good while I change out the stat. Put it all back together and bleed the system.

Good to go!

Done a few dozen of them that way
Old 03-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I hear that I just should do it in a morning after its cooled all night, pop the elbow off, pull the two bolts, and replace the stat. Said that a LITTLE fluid may come out, just keep a rag around it to keep any fluid from coming out and getting on your opti..

Just to make sure the 19 year old punk gave me a 2 way stat, can anyone verify the PN for me?

Hyper tech 160 degree PowerStat
HYPERTECH PART# 1008
Old 03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

if it's a hypertech lt1, it's two way.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

It's extremely easy. Just pop off the two bolts, and hold the tube out of the way so coolant doesnt come out of it. Coolant will come out of the thermostat housing but it's no big deal. Just let it come out. Keep a pan down there. Probably a quart or two worth of coolant will come out. Don't freak.

Nothing wrong with putting in a lower stat, however with your stock fan settings it will STILL reach stock operating temperatures, it just gets there slower. You can install a manual fan switch yourself ($5 at radioshack) to turn on the fan sooner. I did this in my old T/A and it kept the temp at a steady 180*.

When you're done just fill it back up with coolant and bleed the system. Right as rain.
Old 03-13-2006, 08:51 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Mmm, I think I may drain the system if its gonna leak like that, I don't wanna **** my opti?

While its drained would be a good time to do the TB bypass eh? How to's?