Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

WS6 Style hood that's NOT fiberglass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 09:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Default WS6 Style hood that's NOT fiberglass?

I have found a WS6 style hood from a vendor that I don't think is a sponsor so I won't mention the name. It is machine-made from composite plastic like our fenders rather than hand-layed fiberglass like most other aftermarket hoods. They are a true ram air design that comes with a replacement airbox and weatherstrip that seals to the underside of the hood. The manufacturer is so confident of the fit that they are available pre-painted and ready to just bolt on. Has anyone heard of or had any experience with these hoods?

PM me if discussing a non-sponsor product would be a problem but I feel it's a fair question to help me make a buying decision.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting, never heard of any but fiberglass..
Old 03-14-2006, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with BLOODTA, I think he has one of those hoods on his Trans Am.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

The only problem with getting it pre painted is it wont be colorblended to your car, Normal paint fads some and if they put fresh paint on it the hood is going to have a different shade then the rest of the car
Old 03-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I thought of that but I'm hoping that it won't be too noticeable on a garage-kept white car because the non-metallic colors don't fade as quickly. The manufacturer seems to think that I'll likely only have to do some buffing of the fenders to bring them up to the same shine as the new hood. Sound reasonable?
Old 03-14-2006, 03:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by tc00
Check with BLOODTA, I think he has one of those hoods on his Trans Am.
Thanks, I sent a him a PM.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

is it painted or do they use colormatched plastic to mold the hood in the first place? Not sure if anyones ever made fbody parts using it but I read somewhere that they were gonna start using colored plastic on body panels for certain vehicles. This would eliminate the need for touch up paint if you ever get a rock chip or a scratch.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Molded-in color would be really nice but these hoods are painted. I don't know exactly what it means but they are painted to a class A finish on the top and a class B finish on the underside. They also apply the Ram Air decals in your choice of color.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
interesting, never heard of any but fiberglass..
They are all SMC (Sheet Moulded Compound) with uses fiberglass and plastic materials.
Old 03-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by MrPongoSS
They are all SMC (Sheet Moulded Compound) with uses fiberglass and plastic materials.
No, most aftermarket hoods (and factory WS6 hoods for that matter) are hand-layed fiberglass. This causes each one to be slightly different so a lot of sanding and fitting is necessary for installation.

These hoods have no fiberglass in them at all. They are a machine-molded composite plastic similar to the fenders on our cars. The machine makes every hood identical so each should fit properly without modification (at least that's the manufacturer's claim).
Old 03-14-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, most aftermarket hoods (and factory WS6 hoods for that matter) are hand-layed fiberglass. This causes each one to be slightly different so a lot of sanding and fitting is necessary for installation.

These hoods have no fiberglass in them at all. They are a machine-molded composite plastic similar to the fenders on our cars. The machine makes every hood identical so each should fit properly without modification (at least that's the manufacturer's claim).
Sounds interesting. If only they'd make raptor/outlaw style hoods too

Yeah... I'm greedy.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dementia
is it painted or do they use colormatched plastic to mold the hood in the first place? Not sure if anyones ever made fbody parts using it but I read somewhere that they were gonna start using colored plastic on body panels for certain vehicles. This would eliminate the need for touch up paint if you ever get a rock chip or a scratch.
something like this? this was my bumper after a minor fender bender and the paint flaked away

Old 03-15-2006, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

I ordered a hood for my car from the company you are talking about Feb 28. They said 3.5 weeks to paint and ship. I liked the idea of plastic cause Ive had a "aftermarket" fiberglass hood in the past and it chipped and warped from heat(and hood struts). Screw that. Plastic just seems smarter to me. Afterall, think of 70's Vetts with fiberglass. I think the plastic will be more durable. They are a very helpful company and I look forward to seeing their work. Ill update you when I recieve and install it.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm told that the factory hood struts are too strong for the composite hood. The manufacturer says they include a hood support rod with the order. I'd really prefer not having to use a support rod if possible.

Is this a problem with fiberglass hoods as well?

Do those of you with fiberglass hoods use stock struts, a support rod, or maybe lighter-duty replacement struts of some kind?
Old 03-17-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Do those of you with fiberglass hoods use stock struts, a support rod, or maybe lighter-duty replacement struts of some kind?
I'm curious as well
Old 03-17-2006, 02:29 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used all the OEM equipment when i put on my factory ws6 hood, no problems at all. It has been on there for about six months now.

Quick Reply: WS6 Style hood that's NOT fiberglass?