Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

+ break pressure on pedal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default + break pressure on pedal?

On my 86 wagon I get what feels like + pressure when I step on the pedal real quick. If I step on it slowly its not an issue the breaks work normal but if I go to jam them on I get an extremely stiff pedal for about a second and then it works normal. Any ideas?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know back in the 80s many American cars were having issues with the post that the front calipers glide on rusting & sticking. It was so bad on Citations it became a recall issue. But that is one of ths symptoms - a stiff brake pedal (brakes sticking).
Old 03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Banned

they dont so much stick. They actualy work very well if you dont hit them in a panic. Its just stomping on them just about breaks your ankle but pushing them gently has no issue at all. Gentle pressure they work great, push hard they resist.

Its ok if the person your running a yellow with doesnt chicken out an jam on his breaks at the last minute causing you do some some Joey Chitwood Bob Bonderant type heroics to keep from hitting anyone and not slide onto route 30 into on coming traffic... LMAO!! raises the blood pressure a little too
Old 03-14-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe sticking was a poor choice of words. They bind / don't slide over the post easily. So the harder you hit the brakes, the less they work. Whatever it is, it sounds like mechanical interference of some sort. Works ok slowly, but not fast = resistance somewhere.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Banned

Hmmm, I'll have to take the wheels off and check that out. Thanx for the help.

Quick Reply: + break pressure on pedal?