Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans not wanting to shift before engine rev's out

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans not wanting to shift before engine rev's out

my trans doesnt want to shift into 2nd or 3rd without reving out and the only mod i have done to my 99 trans am is slp headers and y pipe and cats.
please help
jerry
Old 03-14-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check to be sure you don't have any wires cut or bared along the path of the exhaust. As always, check transmission fluid level with engine up to temp and on level ground. Also, have the TPS checked. Bad TPS will do that plus make it shift hard as a rock when defective.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Default trans problems

thanks alot for the ideas i have just put headers on it and all i didnt know about the tps thing let me tell u alittle more on what it is doing.
when i first start out it revs to about 5500 before it shifts really hard out of first to 2nd then it goes to about 5000 to 5500 again before it will even attempt to shift to 3rd but it always sounds like its wound out and in 2nd its gotta get up to about 60 to 70mph before it is even close to shifting.

the only things i have on this trans am is slp headers, y-pipe and cats. air lid and 160 thermostat.

i am just really lost and almost to the point of putting the stock headers back on it just to see if it fixes the problem.

if you can think of anything else i will be very thankfull
thanks.
jerry