Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

dynoed my full bolt on 99 ss m6 2day.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 09:53 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default dynoed my full bolt on 99 ss m6 2day.

first pull with the stock tune was 339/ 341. i saw that and said hey this is going to be a good day. the car was pinging a bit as it was running lean so time to start tuning. well each successive pass with the fuel/ timing being tweaked it lost hp and torque across the board. it dropped as low as 330/ 332. by the time he was done tuning it we ended up at 335/338. im going to run a buddy of mine and see if she picked up any power (me and him are neck and neck) w/ the ls6/tb/lt's/ and tune but honestly i think the car feels slower than with the stock manifolds and ls1 intake and tb. the car just was not very responsive to anything he did to it. and he is a very reputable tuner who knows what hes doing so its def the car. he kinda felt bad so he gave me a heck of a discount on the tune even though he spent half the day on it. he will def be getting repeat buisness from me when the cam goes in. but honestly i am pretty disappointed with the outcome. i was hoping to atleast hit 350. now i really dont think the car will top 400 with the torquer cam.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those aren't bad numbers. Every dyno is different. Let us kow how it goes against your buddy. What exhaust do you have?
Old 03-14-2006, 10:04 PM
9 Second Club

ya all of my friends have made well over that but on diff dynos. these numbers are corrected if that matters. i have pacesetter lt's, mufflex y, spiral flow bullit, corsa catback.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Teching In

Thumbs up Hey I recognize that car!!!

Your from the Lee county,FL area aren't you? I happen to work up in Ft Myers and saw your car behind Costco. I had to stop and take pics with my camera phone. That license plate is great "LS2 BAIT". Who did your tune cuz i am doing a full clutch replacement including all of the hydraulics on my '99 Z.
I was talking to Justin at J&J about doing the work. Is that who tuned yours? Or was it Ron at Pro Auto Tech?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:18 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Thndrstrkz
Your from the Lee county,FL area aren't you? I happen to work up in Ft Myers and saw your car behind Costco. I had to stop and take pics with my camera phone. That license plate is great "LS2 BAIT". Who did your tune cuz i am doing a full clutch replacement including all of the hydraulics on my '99 Z.
I was talking to Justin at J&J about doing the work. Is that who tuned yours? Or was it Ron at Pro Auto Tech?
haha ya thats me. i work there. jeremy formato did the tune. he came down to j and j but normaly is up at rev extreme in tampa. justins good people. he ended up finishing my clutch install after my several unsuccessful attempts to bleed the system.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

How was your fuel pressure/injectors?
Old 03-15-2006, 06:20 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
How was your fuel pressure/injectors?
he didnt tell me and i didnt ask. i know with the final tune it was sitting at 13.2 across the board.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You definitely shouldn't lose power with tuning, especially if it was pinging initially. You may have lost a little due to heat soak during tuning/burning but if the car was pinging on the first pull and tuning was done, at very worst you should've ended where you started. Something is certainely off and personally I'd question the tune since that was the only thing changed. If the tune is definitely good start some basic diagnostics, check plugs, fuel pressure, and on to see if anything seems off. FWIW I remember when I did my headers and I made 335 hp (on a stingy dyno) with the ls1 intake and a/f was 12.2 due the the addition of headers. Good luck getting it worked out.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

well towards the end we did a run with the stock tune in it and it did drop to 332/ 335 after it was hot. we did like 11 or 12 pulls. maybe more i forget. so at best it lost 7 hp from heatsoak. so on an ideal run i would still only be at 342/ 345. the fuel filter is 1 day old so its brand new, the plugs are ngk tr 55's @.050 and are 1 week old and all the plug wires on on tight and also 1 week old. fwiw this was done on a dynojet and are sae numbers. a 98 t/a with a 224 and bolt ons made 380 right after my car so id venture to say the dyno is pretty close.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
Those aren't bad numbers. Every dyno is different. Let us kow how it goes against your buddy. What exhaust do you have?
ok i ran my one buddy tonight who routinely put 1 1/2 cars on me before the mods. tonight i put 1 1/2 on him. so i guess i did pick up power. but he runs 12.5@113 w/ a 2.0 60ft. so id be looking at a mid to low 12 at 113+? that doesnt equate to my dyno numbers. btw this was from a roll 3 seperate times just to make sure. from a stop i used to beat him before so thats not much of a gauge for me. my other friend who is dead even with me will be back in town sat so im going to see how i do with him. that will be a better gauge of whats going on. now i need a rear so i can go to the track and actually see what it really runs.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmmm...
Old 03-16-2006, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Racing on the street and at the track are two different things. Just because one car at the track goes 9.xx doesnt mean he will beat somebody going slower at the track especially if it has some type of power adder etc. At the track a car could pull a 1.3x 60' and thats why his ET is so good. Your launch is related directly to your ET so on the street there is no launch and if there is it is nothing like the track. basically its two different worlds so I never compare track times to street races. Ex. I was at the track and every R1 bike that was there was going 10.4-10.8 all night long so I am faster than that so I ran one on the street comletely stock and I only beat him by about 1 bike. So as you can imagine 2-6 tenths is more than one bike length but since it wasnt the track and I couldnt get a dead hook/spray out the hole etc. it was a different outcome. As for the dyno numbers I believe if the car was running very lean to begin with it WILL make more power. Leaner the more power and more danger. Depends how bad it was pinging and of it was pinging at your peak HP number also. Jeremy is a good guy and he tuned my car also. Hope everything works out for you.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
he runs 12.5@113 w/ a 2.0 60ft.
his car doesnt launch hard. and gets the same 60 ft times i do. so there goes that theory. i think a roll race is a very good indication of mph. et obviously not as a launch can drasticly change the outcome of a race.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by waSStock
hmmmm...
i was wondering when u were going to stick your head in.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Another thing to look for...
When a car is on a dyno, it isnt truely "loaded" the same way it is on the street or the track unless you are using a mustang/superflow dyno.

What that normally means is the car will run richer on the dyno than what it really is on the street. If you were showing lean on the dyno, it was likely even leaner on the street. The added fuel may have not shown much HP gain on the rollers, but on the street it could of added up to more.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Banned

Were you using good gas? Can't see it just pinging unless you adjusted timing and AF to aggresive at the beginning of the dyno run. Do you know what the a/f was?
Old 03-17-2006, 11:55 AM
Launching!

I also wonder about the butt-dyno impressions. It could be the case that the car feels slower due to a more even powerband, while the power is actually higher accross the board.

Personally I would be happy with it as long I know its runnign a good AF all the way through and not detonating. Also, what was the temp that day and the DA's?

Basicly, I bet you have a stronger car than you think.
Old 03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
9 Second Club

gas was good it was just going lean on the stock tune. i have no idea what the da or such was but it was pretty warm. atleast mid to upper 80's. and that shop has no cross ventilation so its laike a sauna in there. the a/f is 13.2 now @ the tailpipe. before it was 12.xx at the tailpipe. the car must be stronger just based off my prior to now results with my friends car but it honestly doesnt feel any faster at all.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sparetire
It could be the case that the car feels slower due to a more even powerband, while the power is actually higher accross the board.
I've been there. Going from shorty to long tubes, I thought I lost power for this exact reason. It's really kind of weird. A friend picked up 40 rwhp in his 'bird on the dyno. Playing around with the same modification on the street he couldn't discern a difference, but the dyno said 40 rwhp.

Ben T.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

my 98 auto with pacesetter LT's, ORY, TSP Lid, TSP rumbler catback and tune made 331hp & 345 tq.