LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Which MAC's should I get for my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which MAC's should I get for my car?

I've decided on getting a set of mid-length headers for my car. I know I could go with longtubes, but ground clearance and cats are my biggest issues. The roads in my area suck, and a lot of the store entrances have inclines and speedbumps. And I know that my exhaust would sound like pure crap without the cats to tone down the rasp. Plus, my dad's a cop, so I need cats anyway.

My car is a 97 with the dual cats. I see that MAC offers both single cat and dual cat mid-length headers.

Now, the dual cat header/y-pipe costs $729.99. http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=476

The single cat header/y-pipe is only $439.99. http://fasttoys.net/shop/product_inf...roducts_id=475

That's a $290 difference. Could I use the single cat headers on my 97 without any problems, other then just buying one high-flow cat and having it welded on after the y-pipe? I think I read somewhere that the cat-back exhaust set-up is different between the 93-95 and 96-97 cars, is that true? What I have to do in order for the y-pipe/cat to have them line up with my Borla cat-back?

Thanks
Old 03-25-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

I should have added that I don't have emissions testing in my county, no sniffer or visual. But I want to keep the cat[s] to keep down the rasp and exhaust smell.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

First Off, your looking at the Wrong Headers.
The coating I hear comes off, and MAC have seal issues.

Pacesetter on the Other hand have a good reputation, so I think you will really like these. Its a kit, everything is there.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...2C1335&FROM=MG

As far as your exhaust i concerned, i think you would be ok if you went ahead and bought a single cat exhaust, but im not sure, so dont quote me on it.

Them headers, from what i hear, are excellent Mid's, one guy said he got 23 more dyoed TQ off just this package. ( Y Pipe & Headers, and he had some sort of Catback )

Im buying these as soon as I have some extra cash.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TopendLt1
First Off, your looking at the Wrong Headers.
The coating I hear comes off, and MAC have seal issues.

Pacesetter on the Other hand have a good reputation, so I think you will really like these. Its a kit, everything is there.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...2C1335&FROM=MG

As far as your exhaust i concerned, i think you would be ok if you went ahead and bought a single cat exhaust, but im not sure, so dont quote me on it.

Them headers, from what i hear, are excellent Mid's, one guy said he got 23 more dyoed TQ off just this package. ( Y Pipe & Headers, and he had some sort of Catback )

Im buying these as soon as I have some extra cash.
BS! the macs are great mids and pacesetter are sorry mids the pacesetter LTs are a different story.but if your gonna spend 700$ go with the asm or the rksport heades they will perform very close to LTS and still be leagal and not a hav ground clearance issues.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

if you got the money then get the AS&M mid's but macs are decent alot better than the pacesetter mids i got on my car. as for the fitament i can' honestly vouch but i know that for race non egr/air headers they just sell them for 93-97 because the bolt patterns don't change but the placement of the cats do.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by skatinjay27
BS! the macs are great mids and pacesetter are sorry mids the pacesetter LTs are a different story.but if your gonna spend 700$ go with the asm or the rksport heades they will perform very close to LTS .
Yeah skatin is right, is all on how much money you want to spend.

But anways, are the Pace Strs' Mids really that bad?
I've heard good things.
I know there not the most powerful, but for 400 Bucks thats pretty good, and the coating is better than the MAC's from what I've read.

Hmmm ....

Quick Reply: Which MAC's should I get for my car?