Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

im looking to by a set of tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default im looking to by a set of tools

ok i have a nice set of craftsman tools, (wreches, sockets etc etc) in my semi portable box. i recently got a large toolbox (aprox 13 drawers) well id like to get another nice set of tools for this box, but i dont feel like dropping 500 bucks or so. i was thinking of maby getting a set from home depot (they have a lifetime warrenty too right, and i live right by one so thats a plus)

basicly i want to have a set thats different from my other set so i dont mix them up much.
i figure a cheeper set will be good for now. then ill get another good set later, then ill have some cheepo tolls as extras.

can ayone recomend a good cheep set. any good deals from places on the net???

mainly looking for wrenches and sockets and stuff but ill look at anything

brook
Old 03-15-2006, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know this for a fact, but if youre worried at all about the warranty, i dont think home depot will just crack open a set and replace stuff on the spot, where as with my craftsman stuff they do so, at any location. just an fyi.

And i havent seen many large sets of tools at the depot. Also, you rarely break tools, i know the one time i did its because i was using an 8mm non impact socket on an air tool haha. that turned out...well ugly. im not gettin into the whats better wars, im simply stating the warranty side of things.

with that being said, anything you can buy from the depot will all have the same quality. They are all going to work and be made in china. I would pick the campanion or husky something brand, at least they have a reputation and a history.
Old 03-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I was in the middle of nowhere and had a problem with the gf's car. Had to go to the local Home Depot to buy a cheap tool kit to fix the problem. Got a cheap Husky set (about 30 pieces or so). Just after I started using the ratchet, it literally fell apart in my hand. The retaining ring holding it together popped out and got lost in the gravel. I took the set back that night.

That being said, I have some Husky tools mixed in with my Snap On's and Matco's. They're okay. I *think* Stanley makes the Husky brand, fyi. You might get a better deal on the Stanley brand at Wal Mart. Also, if you had problems with the tool, it might be easier getting it exchanged at Wal Mart than HD.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...nics+Tool+Sets

I just picked up this set and it's not bad at all for general purpose. I really like the Easy-to-Read sockets. I didn't think it would matter, but there have already been a couple times where it has come in handy. If you have the engraved sockets in your existing set, you can get the etched ones as a separate set.

-Mike
Old 03-26-2006, 02:35 PM
12 Second Club

The only thing I don't like about the Sears Mechanics Tool Sets that come bundled together is that they always have the majority of sockets in 1/4-in. drive.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:52 PM
...with cheese.

Originally Posted by chae
The only thing I don't like about the Sears Mechanics Tool Sets that come bundled together is that they always have the majority of sockets in 1/4-in. drive.
Every set I purchased was more the majority 3/8, 1/2 in second, having the least 1/4. There are 1/4in deeps, I suspect thats just because they're easier to package in a small set.

Quick Reply: im looking to by a set of tools