LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Anyone running a trank trigger on their LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 06:21 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone running a trank trigger on their LT1?

If so what type of trigger did you use and what type of stand alone setup are you using for control? I am building my new 383 currently and want to go with a crank trigger system and would like to get your feedback on how you like your setup.

Thank you very much,
RJ
Old 03-15-2006, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mine came with a variation of one from the factory. It works fine.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Compstall
Mine came with a variation of one from the factory. It works fine.
Thats great. Thanks for the great insight, but its more of a CAM trigger than a crank trigger. I am not at all interested in keeping the Opti.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

a friend of mine that posts on here ran a crank trigger setup for a little bit because he couldn't chase down an ignition problem. i'm not sure what it was that he used, but i'll search for the thread or tell him to post up.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:20 PM
8 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a MSD 7" crank trigger and a MSD low profile crab style distributer. Using the FAST XFI as the management system with bank to bank (batch fire). Just purchased the stuff so I do not have any numbers yet.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys, I would love to hear more about the ingnition problems.
Tony, do you have to run both the trigger and dizzy with the XFI? Why run both?
Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Launching!

MSD crank trigger with Big Stuff 3. I think both sizes will work just depending on which harmonic balancer you are running.
Old 03-15-2006, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you still going to use the Opti to dist. the spark? i think batch fire only need's a crank signal to run where as Sequential would require a cam signal... So tony's probably just running the crank signal and using the dizzy to dist. spark
Old 03-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Launching!

The big stuff utilizes a cam sensor also. I do not run an opti, I run MSD distributor that has been modified.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Stefan D.
The big stuff utilizes a cam sensor also. I do not run an opti, I run MSD distributor that has been modified.
To run in sequential you would need a cam/crank sensor.. but to run batch i think just a crank signal is needed.. am i correct on this?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:42 PM
8 Second Club

Yes you are correct.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've always been curious, for the guys who've run both batch and sequential injection, what are the pros and cons of each? I'm most interested in what people consider to be the "improvement", (if any), that sequential has over batch. And what are the limitations involved with using batch fire? I'm asking because I too plan on eventually ditching my Opti in favor of an aftermarket EFI setup, and wondering if the rather steep price difference between a "sequential capable" and a regular batch fire system is at all justified?
Old 03-15-2006, 09:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tony Shepherd
I am using a MSD 7" crank trigger and a MSD low profile crab style distributer. Using the FAST XFI as the management system with bank to bank (batch fire). Just purchased the stuff so I do not have any numbers yet.
Keep us informed man, I'm debating going to LTCC with a full setup of the new redesigned/improved MSD LS1 high voltage coils ($600 Franklins ). Figured I'd build a custom billet cover for the opti, ditching the cap/rotor. If I go this route and it works good then I might get the new MSD Opti with the bigger bearing, better eye sensor and just run the billet cover on that with the LTCC setup.

Always wanted to do the crab style dist setup, would love to know if you can pull the crab out with out dropping the engine.
Old 03-15-2006, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
I've always been curious, for the guys who've run both batch and sequential injection, what are the pros and cons of each? I'm most interested in what people consider to be the "improvement", (if any), that sequential has over batch. And what are the limitations involved with using batch fire? I'm asking because I too plan on eventually ditching my Opti in favor of an aftermarket EFI setup, and wondering if the rather steep price difference between a "sequential capable" and a regular batch fire system is at all justified?
Batch fire fuel injection, sometimes called "group fired", does just that; it fires (opens) the injectors in groups. Sequential fuel injection, on the other hand, fires each injector individually just as the corresponding intake valve opens. Supposedly, sequential EFI provides better idle quality and smoother part throttle characteristics.. Got that from a site.. i've heard it's kinda up in the air.. So either will work equally at WOT IMO which for some is all that count's at this stage of the game..
Old 03-16-2006, 07:52 AM
8 Second Club

You are correct in the part throttle and drivability aspects. Also sequential is better for individual cylinder tuning if needed. Both work great but sequential is a little better overall. Especially for a street car.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:35 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BRETTINATOR
Always wanted to do the crab style dist setup, would love to know if you can pull the crab out with out dropping the engine.
Ive got one too. You can pull the distriubutor without dropping the engine, but the intake has to come out with it.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stefan D.,

You stated you had your MSD distributor modified. I take it you had a cam sensor installed so you can run Sequential. If so, who modified it for you. i have a front mount MSD and would like to have a cam sensor installed.

BTW, another good reason to run sequential is when running large injectors to help with the idle quality. I have 160lbs. injectors on my 598 and want to run the sequential for that purpose. Other than that I'd run the batch since i't a drag car.

-Dave
Old 03-17-2006, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

I am also running big stuuf 3 in the process of instaling now it uses a ls1 pcm harness and they suplied the crank triger cam sensor and ls1 ignition coils
Old 03-18-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ultra 94 z
I am also running big stuuf 3 in the process of instaling now it uses a ls1 pcm harness and they suplied the crank triger cam sensor and ls1 ignition coils
How is the cam sensor situated in that setup? Does it go into the timing chain cover in place of the optispark somehow or do you mount it in the back of the intake like a dual sync distributor?
Old 03-18-2006, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ultra 94 z
Where can I find some info on Big stuff, heard about it the other night for the 1st time, was considering the F.A.S.T. PCM but like the sounds of this setup you have.

Originally Posted by atljar
Ive got one too. You can pull the distriubutor without dropping the engine, but the intake has to come out with it.
Sweet, thanks, another option to consider.

Quick Reply: Anyone running a trank trigger on their LT1?