General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

recharging air conditioning system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default air conditioning ? about recharging Sys.

I removed my AC condendenser but did'nt tape the hose ends, let condenser sit for 2 days in backyard.
I have been told that now moisture has entered into the dryer and it needs to be replaced.

I've also been told that the sys. needs to be connected to a cleaning machice before I even think about recharging the sys.

Thanks for any recommendations
Old 03-15-2006, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default system recharge

if your system was exposed to open air the dryer needs to be changed, its what removes moisture from the system (contains dessicant). also depends on how much you wanna spend. you can change the dryer yourself,and recharge the system with a 134a recharge kit, use the can with the gauage on the line, they cost a little more but show how charged the system is.

or you can pay for professional service, in which they would swap dryer and evacuate the system (vacuum) and then charge it with new 134a.

done the home garage empty and fill a few times and have never had a problem. even without putting a vacuum on the system, also its a hell of a lot cheaper to do it yourself.
hopefully you have a haines manual cuz that help.
pm me if you need anymore assistance.
P.S. if you dont change the dryer just means you might have a shorter compressor longevity. i would recommend changing the dryer, but i wouldnt worry about cleaning the system. or if your concerned charge it with a can then run it for a few minutes then bleed off the system, then recharge it again.
Old 03-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've also tried getting away without pulling a vacuum on the system before filling it.always ends up with a noisy compressor.the dryer can only remove a small amount of moisture,anything it can't pick up goes THROUGH the compressor as ICE.ice is a solid as it enters the compressor and will cause noise and a very short compressor life.have it vacuumed.