General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Question about garaging

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about garaging

Well, I'll be heading to college this fall (University of Oklahoma, OU) so I made the smart decision and my parents are renting me a storage shed here so I can park and cover the car. My question is, is will the car be good if they drive it like once a week? It's got about 44k on the clock if that helps. The good thing is, is that i'll be putting around in a little four cylinder while at college, but when I come back I'm hoping i'll get the feeling of power back that i've gotten used to. My goal here is to keep the mileage under 50k until I get out of college.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:08 PM
Teching In

get a battery tender and have all the rubber and interior inspected once a year.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I usually only drive my car on the weekends in the summer and in the winter I sometimes go 2 or 3 weeks without driving it. If your parents are going to take it out once a week or so, you should be fine (although mine stays in an insulated garage).
Old 03-16-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would counsel against starting it once a week just to run it. It isn't necessary for the health of your car and can even hurt it. You will get condensation in your pipes and engine if you don't run it very long.

If you going to store it more than a couple of weeks, take out the battery and keep it on a Battery Tender charger. If you'll be storing it long-term, also put Sta-Bil in your fuel, and check it occaionally just to make sure it's still there.

$.02
Old 03-16-2006, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Why not rent storage near school?

Other advice from Mr Incredible is good. Either take it out and drive it like 20 miles at a time, or leave it be. Once a month is good.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah it should be fine for a while my dads vette sits in the garage for sometimes months and still starts fine
Old 03-16-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your folks (or you) drive it once a week, make sure you at least get it warmed up all the way, not just start drive 5 mins and put it back, drive 20 miles (like someone else said) so it gets a chance to warm up, and evaporate any moisture, and keep the seals soft and lubricated