Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Have 150$ to spend at sears what should i get

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Have 150$ to spend at sears what should i get

I have a lot of hand tools and would like to get air tools then get the compressor later. If someone has any experience with tools at sears please let me know. I'm looking to spend like 80-90$ a tool if not less . Like an air gun for 80-90 and an air ratchet for 80-90. I'm not sure what will last/what to get please get me in the right direction, thanks

sean
Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Teching In

If it was me, I would get a 3/8 impact, and a 3/8 ratchet. All the big and little stuff is great but you will use the 3/8 stuff alot more than anything else when it comes to a car.

As far as brands, I have always been told to shop for Ingersoll Rand stuff cuz of the quality. They can be pretty proud of there stuff. But I also have some CHEAP CHEAP air tools, like a $5.99 air chisel, $10.99 1/4" ratchet. and I use them like a champ and if they break so what you dont have much money in them.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to use a 1/2 “ impact exclusively and go back and forth WRT to hand tools (usually 1/2” when I’m dealing with suspension stuff, 3/8” with engine stuff).

There are some cheap tools that work fine, for example, I like my cheap (I think it’s central air or something like that, got it at harbor freight) 90* angle die grinder better than my IR die grinders. I have a cheap 3/8” Campbel Housefeld air ratchet that works fine, but honestly I don’t use it much, dragging the hose around gets tedious and if I’m disassembling stuff and in a hurry usually I just grab the ˝” impact (you can tear down the top half of an engine, down to the block in the car in under an hour with an impact gun, and I wouldn’t use any air tools at all for assembly)

OTOH, I WOULD NOT buy a cheap impact gun. Most of the <$150 impact guns are rated fairly low torque wise and are still probably overrated, and nothing sucks more then an impact gun that doesn’t have the power to bust things loose when you need it.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:50 AM
12 Second Club

so like craftsman air ratchets and impact guns are a no no? Their like 80-90$ a piece
Old 03-18-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The higher end impact guns are fine…, they are just rebadged IR guns. As a matter of fact, my IR 2131 is actually the craftsman version which is identical but it has a chrome nose instead of the black painted nose that the IR one has. Even all the replacement part numbers are the IR2131’s part numbers.

The air ratchets appear to be fine, but like I said, I get almost no use from mine, and if I was going to do it again I wouldn’t have spent the money on it and just probably gotten a better air hammer or actually, probably a high speed body saw.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Regular

I Have the IR yellow Thunder gun. Man it kicks A**. It is one to buy. Dont buy craftman air tools. Spend the cash on a set of Craftman reversable ratchets. they are around 100 per set but I find myself reaching for them all the time.

Quick Reply: Have 150$ to spend at sears what should i get