Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! All cyl. bank 1 valves are closed at once!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP!! All cyl. bank 1 valves are closed at once!

Started my car up this morning and it was idling like crap. Had it towed back to my place and I just got done pulling the valvecovers. All valves on the driver's side are closed except for one that's open about 1/8". Did all my lifters on that side of the motor decide to bleed down at once? Passenger side looks normal.

The car was running great up until about 5:00 this morning.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:32 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: HELP!! All cyl. bank 1 valves are closed at once!

have someone else crank the engine over (but leave everything disconected) and watch what happens on the drivers side and see if things are moving like normal. did the ses light up or throw up any misfires?
Old 01-19-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

I cranked the engine over and the valves are definitely opening now. Before I did that, I could spin all the pushrods on that side except for the one on the valve that was open a little. Now I can't spin any, even on the closed valves.

I hooked up Autotap as soon as I realized something wasn't right. I didn't let the engine run long enough to set a misfire code. There were heavy misfires (in the 160-170 range at idle) on the odd-numbered cylinders that got worse as I brought RPMs up. Normally I'll get a few cylinders with up to 30 misfires at idle with the cam.
Old 01-19-2003, 07:27 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

Jake, did you get those a-tap readings this afternoon or last night? How is it running now that you're seeing valve movement? What's your oil look like? Any mositure in it?
Old 01-19-2003, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

I ran Autotap on it this morning as soon as it started happening. I haven't started the car yet. Was going to wait to do that later in the week. It'd be interesting to know exactly how cold it was this morning. I've been running 10W30, although being synthetic, I'd think it would flow pretty well cold. It looks normal, pretty thick but no signs of moisture in it.

I haven't checked the plugs to see if they're fouled yet.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

When I got home from Jason's last night (about midnight) it was 9* in Lincolnwood. Not too far from where you were at the time. Probably dropped to at least 7* or less by 5am.

I don't really think were gonna have any warm days this week. Be interesting to see what happens next time you start it.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

TTT

I got back to the engine tonight. It still runs rough as hell. Autotap shows constant misfires on cylinders 5, 6 & 7 at idle and under more throttle. I pulled those wires and I can see them arcing when I bring them close to the wheel well. The plugs were fouled so I pulled them and replaced with some other Autolite 103s I had. Car still runs rough. On both sides, I can hear kind of a "tuh-tuh-tuh" rythmic puffing noise in the vicinity of the misfiring cylinders. I don't really hear any more mechanical noise than normal. Oil pressure is normal for a cammed car.