Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

want to paint fast intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default want to paint fast intake

Anyone know what kind of paint can be used to paint the top of the fast intake? Also, for those who have done it what did you use to prep the surface to take paint?
Old 03-18-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets try this one over here.
Old 03-18-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I sanded mine smooth and had it shot with standard base coat/clear coat. It doesn't get hot enough to require high temp paint...
Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

TTT,
I'd be interested to know any details anyone is willing to give on how to prep it.
I'm thinking some fine grain sanding all around?
Any intel on WHAT grain sandpaper to use?
How much sanding to do, it feels like a pretty thin molding?

I'm considering leaving the "FAST" lettering and going with a black and red theme, letters black and the rest red to match the engine bay.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
DJ
Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 AM
Teching In

The way to go is to have it sand-blasted, if you use sand paper it your gonna see where you sanded under the paint unless you use really fine sand-paper and use a good filler primer but you still might see some flat spots where you sanded too much!
as for paint i always use hi-temp paint anywhere on the engine even though the intake does not get that hot. regular spray paint won't hold up for that long with any heat under the hood. hope this helped man
Old 03-29-2006, 11:31 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSCamaro2310
The way to go is to have it sand-blasted, if you use sand paper it your gonna see where you sanded under the paint unless you use really fine sand-paper and use a good filler primer but you still might see some flat spots where you sanded too much!
as for paint i always use hi-temp paint anywhere on the engine even though the intake does not get that hot. regular spray paint won't hold up for that long with any heat under the hood. hope this helped man
Thanks alot man.
Glad you let me know, i woulda just went to home depot and bought some fine snadpaper and went to town.
Still kindof interested in the red and black theme tho, but i don't want it to look like a chop job, which it most likely would.
Guess ill go with the stock primer grey.

Thanks again
DJ
Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I used standard sandpaper...the sandblaster is not going to smooth the surface...you'll need to use conventional sandpaper and sandable primer to get the surface smooth. I removed the FAST lettering from mine using a dremel and then sanded the whole intake smooth using 80 grit, 180, 220...My bodyman did some additional sanding and layed down several coats of sandable primer, then base coat/clear coat...BTW, there are NO visible sanding marks...

Quick Reply: want to paint fast intake