General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

oil gauge goes up and down

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil gauge goes up and down

i purchased my motor from timmy2stage last june, and it is awesome, but the problem is in the oil gauge. when i drive it is fine, the pressure goes up as the rpms increase but sometimes when i accelerate the oil pressure will show that its going down, only like 3 or 4 psi but then ill shift down and it will be fine again. also when im at a stop sometimes the needle will go up and down, a small amount, very fast over and over until it goes back to about 60psi and stays....anyone know why this is? also my cold oil pressure is about 70 to 75 psi and then heated up its about 60. i believe it is an upgraded oil pump, not sure if its ported, and the motor is built. 238/232 cam, 1.5 stage ported heads, forged pistons with -2cc relief, rods and all other crap. i installed long tubes after the motor and know i need to set air fuel again. any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Launching!

I have a pretty similar problem on my oil gauge. Its all fucked up, reads whatever it wants. You may need a new sending unit or the gauge in the cluster can be messed up. I would recommend getting it checked with a manual gauge. What you need to verify is that the engine oil pressure is actually rising with engine rpm's. Now heres a really screwed up fact, minimum oil pressure recommended by gm is like 8 psi at idle. If youre above that at idle and it steadily increases as rpm's increase you're fine, and may have a bad sending unit or gauge. If not and the oil pressure is reading the same even when you increase rpms then your screwed and you may have a bad oil pump, or even worse bearings could be shot. Definitely not something you should put off on getting checked though.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:42 PM
Launching!

8psi... jeez. i normally run ~42psi warmed up at idle.