General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

smell coming from car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smell coming from car

i have a 2000 ta and i took off hard today and now i have a smell when i stop and the alternator voltage meter looks low could i have over powered the alternator whats going on thanks

Last edited by WILWAXU; 03-19-2006 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

I today have need low stop driving here in where it says alternator or maybe battery spell and then one time it may yeasterday stop here.
Help may?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:13 AM
Launching!

What Was That
Old 03-19-2006, 07:04 AM
12 Second Club

Think he found your post funny, as I did as well because you have mistakenly used the word "Spell" instead of "Smell". If you look up Spell in the dictionary, the word can have several meanings.
Spell- One definition, A word or formula believed to have magic power. So when you say "spell coming from car", most read that to be some type of magic is being emitted from your car.
Spell- Another definition, A period of physical or mental disorder or distress. So when you say "now i have a spell when i stop" many like myself with a strange sense of humor mean that to be your having a fit or seizure when stopping the car.
So even though you didn't mean it, your post was quite funny actually, just by mistakenly using spell instead of smell.

So, the smell is most likely a rotten egg type smell which is coming from the catalytic converter after drivning the car hard and quite normal. As far as the alternator gauge, would do this, tonight turn on your headlights and let the car idle, if the headlights dim and brighten, you may have an alternator issue to check out. Also your Trans Am may have a malfunction indicator lamp (a light on the dash) which will illuminate if you have a battery and/or alternator problem. If the light is not on then, maybe the problem is only perceived.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read "spell" I was hoping to see Alyssa Milano from Charmed.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fixed the "smell" spelling for you