General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

How to install Headlight Socket

Old 03-19-2006, 12:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to install Headlight Socket

i have a 98 trans am and some how the healight socket wire got cut, so i went to gm and bought a new one..but not sure how to put it in does anyone have any advice or instructions for me to put it in..
thanks for the help
Old 03-19-2006, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you have the plug that plugs into the socket, if so just look at the other headlight plug and usually the brighter colored wire is the Positive hot wire and the darker is the ground.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

basically i dont know how to get the old wires out of the grey harness which has i think 5 wires in it 2 comming from the low beam headlight..i know where to put the wires..just dont know how to get the old ones out and the new ones in..
thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I just did that.

Unconnect it from the part that goes to the rest of the car...you will have the female light grey end that has the headlight wires and headlight motor wires (the part that is directly attached to the plugs that connect to the lights themselves).

Now get something small and pointy. I used a small torx screwdriver. Stick it into the end of the female part, right where the little flat metal contact comes of of each hole (green, black and orange). Do them one at a time: there is a little metal detent that you push up gently to make the wire/contact disengage from the light grey plastic housing. IIRC you push up, that is away from the side with the connector clip that attaches to the other half of hte harness. If you look into it you will see the metal connector andwhich way you should push it. Pull it out.

If it doesn't pull out easily, it is not disengaged...try pushing it back in like you were reinstalling it, then press the detent again and try to pull it back out. I hit my contacts with a wire brush while they were out..but yours are new.

Eventually you will get them out. Wedge the new ones in, but make sure the detent in the metal connector clips are deployed so they will lock into the harness when you slide it in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to install Headlight Socket