General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Head Gasket or Exhaust Manifold Gasket?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Post Head Gasket or Exhaust Manifold Gasket?

I think I have an exhaust leak on the exhaust manifold-to-head area on the passenger manifold. I replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets with some copperhead gaskets not too long ago(it still made the ticking noise before the gasket change and after the gasket change). If the noise happens to be from the gasket, what could I do to make the leak stop besides re-torquing the bolts? Since it seems to come from that area, would a messed up head gasket be a better guess? What kinds of things happen from faulty cylinder head gaskets?
Old 03-19-2006, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Highly doubtful it's a head gasket. Check for a loose plug, loose AIR fittings, etc. When you replaced the gasket did you see a spot where it was leaking? Also, if you have someone cover the exhaust tips for a few seconds with rags or gloves exhaust leaks get easier to find.
Old 03-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was your head gasket you would probly see some type of contamination, ex. oil within the coolant or vise versa, and you would also see coolant seeping or leakin out from the head. Could be a warped manifold,leaking egr, or just loose manifold bolts.
J