Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum Line Connection?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Vacuum Line Connection?

I am doing a conversion and I bought a pull out motor and 4L60E from a 2000 TransAm. I am putting things together now and do not know where the vacuum line coming off the top of the transmission is supposed to connect on the motor. Also this is a rather long line and has a T connection in it. What else connects to this line? I tried a search and looked in the LS1 books I have but no answers.

Thanks for any info you can provide

Pat
Old 03-20-2006, 04:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the tranny an aftermarket version or do you know if it has been converted to vacuum modulation? Cause stock 4L60E's didn't have a vacuum line - the shifts are controlled by the computer.

If it DOES have vacuum modulation to control the shifts the vacuum line is usually tee'd into the power brake booster line...
Old 03-20-2006, 06:56 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default vac mod

The trans you bought has a modulator set up in it to controll line pressure. Simply take the line and t it into brake booster hose. It is a great upgrade!
Old 03-20-2006, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought that it was a vent line,like most rearends have.Thats what your talking about righ?Mine it just fastened to the torque arm.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

My first thought was that he was talking about the vent line - until he stated that it was a long line and had a tee in it - the vent line does not follow this description...
Old 03-20-2006, 11:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

My vent line does have a T in it.About 3" to 4" from the tranny is a T.One side has a line that went acroos the top of my tranny to my torque arm.The other end has nothing attached.Went I dropped my tranny I thought I tore the empty end off some where,but couldnt find it.So I took the T off to see how it worked and the empty end was plugged from the inside or so it looked.I blew into it and nothing came out.It might work like a pcv,I dont know.

The T is hard to describe.It sorta looks like a Top or a fishing bobber.The part that connected to the tranny is on the bottom,the part that was ran to my torque arm was coming out the side and the the non-used nipple was on the top.Its white in color.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

The line is a vent tube which travels back over the tail and connects to the torque arm via a metal clip, just for mounting purposes no other reason. It is not a vacuum port. It does have a "T" fitting on it also, just leave the side port of the "T" open to air.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok quy's maybe I'm confused. Is this line coming from the bell area attached to a metal like 3 inch straw or from a fitting right next to the case connector? If it's a fitting by the case connector, ITS NOT A VENT.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for your insight. I think WhiteRhino and Farmer2 have called it right, it must be a vent line. As far as I know the transmission was stock when I got it, there were no indications of any modifications to the engine-trans package and they supposedly only have a little over 9k miles on them.

Given this information, I will route the line back and fasten it to my crossmember and call it good. I will also examine the T fitting more closely to see if it matches the vent T description you folks provided.

Thanks! That's a big help.

Pat
Old 03-21-2006, 11:38 PM
10 Second Club

Where on the trans is this line located? and how long is the line? Is the T in the end of the line? There is definately a vent tube mounted on top of the trans and may be 2 feet long at most. If it's vacuum modulated, that line should be attached just above the bottom pan area on the passenger side of trans.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

The tranny he has isnt vacumn modulated.What hes talking about was the vent.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The little white filter-thingy and tee fooled me too, when
I got the car back from the last converter swap the hose
was in the leftover parts box and it "looked like it wanted
vacuum".

There is a nipple on the top of the trans case which you
can find by feel, from the passenger's side underneath so
long as you have hands like a spider monkey.

I just put the long hose on, let it flop, and cut it right.
You just want a long enough run that grit will not get up
in there, is all.

Quick Reply: Vacuum Line Connection?