Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Clear Corners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clear Corners

How hard is it to install the clear corners for a 2001 Camaro. Im gonna buy the ones that are on ebay for like $20, but I just wanna know what im gonna be gettin myself into before I buy them for my car. Especially since if I bought them and installed them in my car my gf would want me to do the same for her car. If anyone knows how hard they are to install or what you have to do to put them in please let me know. Also would I have to buy new bulbs for them, like a different color?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

open hood, use 10mm 1/4" drive ratchet to remove 1 bolt on each headlight, slide the lights out of the way and disconnect...
use a 7mm 1/4" ratchet (x3) to loosen the yellow/amber corners and disconnect the pair of lights in each...
reverse after removal!

Done in less than 20 minutes...

Oh yeah...get amber bulbs from wal-mart or something...take your current ones in and get identical in amber...about another 4 bucks.

Duff
Old 03-20-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

The ones I got from ebay came with bulbs, just look for ones that explicitly say it.

Also, it took me some time to pry the lights out of their hole. Took about an hour plus.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You must not have removed the headlight if it took you an hour. I removed both headlights and installed both of my clear corners and put the headlights back in under 25 minutes.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

At least you guys have it easier than the TA's...

I want to take mine out to nightshade them along with the sidemarkers, and its going to be a royal pain (again). I put these in new last summer. It looks like its easier on the Camaro.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
At least you guys have it easier than the TA's...

It looks like its easier on the Camaro.
Finally, a reason to boast. Take that WS6.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:36 AM
TECH Addict

does anyone have pics of their red camaros with clear corners and a billet grille so I can get a feel on how good its going to look.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:40 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a photoshop request! I have a orange camaro with clear corners....will that work?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

are clear corners hard to do on LT1 Formula's?
Old 03-21-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Orange do you have the whistler mod done on your headlights and clear corners?
Old 03-30-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by Duffster
open hood, use 10mm 1/4" drive ratchet to remove 1 bolt on each headlight, slide the lights out of the way and disconnect...
use a 7mm 1/4" ratchet (x3) to loosen the yellow/amber corners and disconnect the pair of lights in each...
reverse after removal!

Done in less than 20 minutes...

Oh yeah...get amber bulbs from wal-mart or something...take your current ones in and get identical in amber...about another 4 bucks.

Duff
HA!! Those directions are WAY easier said than done. I cant get that damn headlight off for the life of me. I took off the top bolt on the headlight and the little bastard still wont come out .Does anyone have any tips on which bolt to take off and which way to get it out cause when I yank on it, I feel like im gonna bust the healight into pieces. The last thing I would want to do is buuy another healight. My clear corners didnt even come with instructuctions and I have to install 3 setrs of them. One for my car, one for my girlfriends car and one for my dads car. Does anyone know of any pictured directions? Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

Once the bolt is off I believe you need to slide the headlight towards the outside of the car. It has some L tabs that hook into the radiator support. It's been a couple years since I did mine so I don't remember the exact details.
Old 03-30-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, you have to slide the headlight towards the middle of the car.

But yes, the L tabs need to clear from the bracket they slide in to, only then can you remove the headlight. It's actually way easier to take out than to put the headlight back in. A little trick that will help putting them back in is to look for the two adjustment screws that aim your headlight and put some masking tape over the exposed threaded area. You do this to mark the position of the screw, because it makes it easier by screwing the screw in such a way that it pulls the bracket that is attached to the headlight closer to the headlight. Doing so will make putting the headlight back in easier. Once you got it back in postion and bolted down just put the screw back into the position you marked with the masking tape.

Speaking of masking tape, you should put some on your paint all around the edge where the fender meets the headlight. When reinserting your headlight, start by inserting the out part of the headlight into the fender and finagle it back in there from there.

You should also put some masking tape on the paint surround the marker lights. Getting these out requires some force. I actually broke one of my stock ones. The problem is that the marker light catches on an edge where the fender meets the nose clip. Once you get all three screws out (one from underneath, the other two from the back of the marker light) and start moving it around you'll know exactly what I am talking about. You just have to carefully force the maker light past that edge, it's the only way.

Lastly, the marker lights have been known to leak, before you put them in run a nice bead of silicone around the whole thing. Also, the bigger bulb locks into place from on top, in my case, the factory one was extremely tight, but the aftermarket one was very lose. As a result water leaked in and I had to resort to this:

So take that into consideration before putting the headlight back in. I ran some silicone around the locking mechanism for the big bulb once it was installed. So far the car hasn't been washed yet or seen rain, so I dunno how effective it was.

Oh...and the very last thing....when you put in the big bulbs, make sure they are in all the way, it should click twice. You also might want to put some dielectric grease in there just like what the factory did. If you don't get the bulb all the way in, it will still work, but hang too low and the heat it produces will melt the housing. Ask me how I know

Good luck man...it really isn't that hard. I found all this out the hard way, and in the mean time I am almost an expert at doing doing it.

Oh, and I have the clear lenses with black housing....here's a pic:

Manny
Old 03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Easiest way I have found to do it is to just drop the front bumper.
Old 03-30-2006, 06:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sills1
Finally, a reason to boast. Take that WS6.
TOO SHAY!! lol
Old 03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

pm'd ya
Old 03-31-2006, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am gonna TTT this one so I am sure the guy who asked can read all the "informative crap" I typed
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Manny, your car looks great. I was looking for some clear corners but I love your black ones, where did you get them from?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jackp35
Manny, your car looks great. I was looking for some clear corners but I love your black ones, where did you get them from?
Thanks dude!

It's a non sponsor, so I am gonna pm it to you.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:23 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks Manny for all your help. I installed the clear corners in all 3 camaros in a little under an hour. I really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Clear Corners