Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slave problems

I've posted this before, but I'm hoping somebody will have some new ideas now.

I've had my car since November. 2000 WS6 Formula. Since then, I've been through 4 slave cylinders. Everytime it goes it, its on a WOT run and the break on the cylinder has been the same every time.

First break, didnt really know what caused it, just replaced the slave.

second time, thought it was from a bad pressure plate so I replaced the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing and throw out bearing.

In between the second and third time, I had to replace the master cylinder because the hydrolic line that runs from the master to the slave got welded shut do to the LT's.

Then the slave went out, we thought it had something to do with it getting starved for fluid due to the hydrolic line.

Replaced it again and the same thing happened 2 days later.

What im wondering is could it be something like the output shaft on the tranny being bent or warped? The transmission shouldnt be moving or torquing because its bolted to the bellhousing which is bolted to the motor right?

Anybody have any ideas on what else it could be. Im desperate for help and ANY ideas. Im trying to get my car back on the road and get it where I can finally run it and have some confidence in it.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can you tell us what exactly happened to the slave? What kind of clutch system do you have?
Old 03-21-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a stage 3 spec clutch with new pressure plate, pilot bearing and throwout bearing, new master and hydrolic line.

Everytime i get in the gears hard it eats **** and everytime it breaks right at the base, looks like a stress crack.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Anybody.....

Bueller....
Old 03-22-2006, 07:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what happened to the slave exactly ?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he said it creacked at the base. i think it has to do with the alignment ofslave. to crack it means it must have stress
Old 03-22-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you using a newer style master without the line restriction? have you done the drill mod? are the slaves you are replacing, the newer 02 kind?
Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Im using the newer updated slave, but havent done the drill mod yet.

Pretty much everything in the clutch is brand new, just keeps killing slaves.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That seems like an odd problem. Have you tried calling Spec and seeing what they have to say about it?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You def have an alignment problem somewhere. Check the health of your pilot bearing.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Havent called Spec yet, but I might just to see if they've heard anything about it.

I think Saturday, I'm gonna drop the tranny and the bellhousing, take a look at everything and see what I can come up with .Im ready to get this fixed, im tired of not being able to keep my car on the road.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thought I would bring this back to the top incase anybody cared.

Tore into the tranny and found the input shaft was grinded to ****. Decided that had to be part of the problem so called T56 rebuilds to get a new input shaft. Get up there, and the input shaft they have is at least an inch longer than the one I pulled out of my tranny.

The dealership I bought the car from put an input shaft from an LT1 in my car. Turns out thats what has been causing all my problems. I took pics of both shafts sitting side by side. I need to get them uploaded. Just thought I'd share that incase anybody gave a ****.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah post pics of the slave also. check the pilot bushing in the crankshaft as well. its probably beat to ****. this is kind of overkill, but if you have any angle finder, look at the angle of the crankshaft snout and tranny output shaft. they should be in a STRaIGHT line, no angle deviation anywhere. looking at the front of the input shaft and at the pilot bushing itself before its removed will also show signs of mis-alignment. And call the dealership you bought the car from and find out who the tech was that worked on the tranny. then pimp slap him. if not that, he at least owes you a few beers.