Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Noise@2800+ rpm ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 05:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise@2800+ rpm ????

First off I have searched can't find an answer, but I am leaning toward thowout bearing.

So here is the problem. Put car in gear take off. At 2800 rpm you hear this noise. Sounds like a whine or almost like a horn. I can still hear the noise at 3500 and a little 3800. I think it continues to make the noise but honestly the exhaust becomes the louder of the two. Push in the clutch still hear the noise. Once in a while it will make the noise when sitting still in a parking lot, but revving the engine(so that rule out the rearend). Also it will make the noise going up through the rpm or coming back down.

If it is the throw out bearing? Is it better to buy a new slave cylinder? It is my understanding new slave cylinder comes with throw out bearing. But I have also read I can get a tob, ls7 clutch, and ls2 flywheel from scoggins for around 500. Or do i just buy Slave Cylinder, TOB, clutch and flywheel all at once and forget about replacing any of them for awhile.

Any help is appreiciated.

oh yeah almost forgot 2002 ss t56
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a big fan of "If you are gonna do it, do it all". You have a 2002 so you have the updated slave already. But if it is your throwout bearing, it can super heat the slave if it is not spinning like it should (dry or low on grease) causing damage. How many miles do you have on your current clutch?

I don't know a lot about these trannies, but I'm getting there.
Might want to change out the tranny fluid first before anything as that is the easiest.
Low or burned fluid can cause the whining.