Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: what would you choose???
new tranny
11.11%
nitrous
27.78%
12 bolt
61.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

nitrous..12 bolt.. or tranny

Old 03-22-2006, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous..12 bolt.. or tranny

I have no clue what to do next on my 02 SS... I have full bolt ons and just did heads and cam with a 3600 stall... what should i purchase next???
Old 03-22-2006, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

NItrous ! Then you will need a rear and tranny, LOL
Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Regular

its a daily driver.. so cant afford to go without it if something breaks too long
Old 03-22-2006, 08:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Tranny is a definite and I guess it depends on how hard you launch and if you hook up whether or not you will need a rear end. I sprayed 150 shot of nitrous on a stock motor for about 1.5 years and it did fine. I just put heads/cam/boltons/3800 stall on my car about 2 weeks ago and the same day we got it running the tranny went out. But it's always a possiblity that it could last for years without breaking. In my opinion, a car should be built from the rearend forward, but that's just me.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blue2002ss06
its a daily driver.. so cant afford to go without it if something breaks too long
well then do a shift kit and tranny cooler and fix any other little flaws there might be then build the 10 bolt a little (or do a 12 bolt) and then do nitrous
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 AM
FormerVendor

I'm with 1fastz28nx on this one, build the car from the rear foward. Especially if you plan on continually modifying the car. Of course it will take you a little longer to go faster, but you won't need to worry as much about breaking parts.

Do the rear first, then the tranny, and the nitrous last IMO.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

thanks guys even though hardly anyone replied to this one lol i think im gonna end up going with a rear end with gears and then the tranny and do nitrous for the graduation thanks for all the opinons
Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

I think that's a good plan. If you get a rear-end first and then tranny then nitrous I think you will be far far happier than if you were to get nitrous first.

If you get the nitrous first, you'll probably constantly have this worry in the back of you head that you're going to shatter your ten bolt. That's the way it is with me anyways, and that's why I'm saving up for a 9" as we speak.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
11 Second Club

I'd agree you have made the right decision. I'm planning on putting a straight axle in the 04 soon. Just waiting to get subframe connectors (if they ever show up) and a cage to have somewhere to mount the axle to. Gears will help you out more than you would expect. have fun!
Old 03-22-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

People always say build from the back to the front...... I agree in some weird form or fashion.

BUT being that this IS your only driver.... go ahead and buy yourself a GOOD transmission.... FLT is the best IMO... I know of several of them behind h/c nitrous cars... no problems out of theirs.

the rear end isn't necessarily gunna matter right now.... even if it does break it can actually be fixed rather cheap in most cases(unless your just trying to break it)

The way your car is set up right now... THE TRANNY IS THE WEAKEST LINK. that is all

Josh S.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Guy in MY 99TA
People always say build from the back to the front...... I agree in some weird form or fashion.

BUT being that this IS your only driver.... go ahead and buy yourself a GOOD transmission.... FLT is the best IMO... I know of several of them behind h/c nitrous cars... no problems out of theirs.

the rear end isn't necessarily gunna matter right now.... even if it does break it can actually be fixed rather cheap in most cases(unless your just trying to break it)

The way your car is set up right now... THE TRANNY IS THE WEAKEST LINK. that is all

Josh S.
I have to also agree since you are also a A4 the rear will last longer then it would in a M6. Build the trans then do the nitrous.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually fried my M6 before nitrous was even in the car. you have an A4, which is slightly better on the rear end, so you should be ok for a little while maybe? I vote rearend first. The nitrous will definately kill the 10 bolt. Mine is wineing all the time.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
I actually fried my M6 before nitrous was even in the car. you have an A4, which is slightly better on the rear end, so you should be ok for a little while maybe? I vote rearend first. The nitrous will definately kill the 10 bolt. Mine is wineing all the time.
no offense but you just said that you fried your tranny BEFORE you even made enought power to where it was on its last leg..... not trying to call you a shitty driver... i'm just saying that u should know a rear end should probably be the last the to do if you have a transmission that is already on its way out.

a stock 4l60 is good for 450ftlbs(by the books) at the flywheel.... and you figure this guys car is making 400+ at the rear wheels and ya figure in a 22% drivetrain lose...... well you do the math.... the stock tranny is on its last leg

Of coarse the car won't be able to run 10 second passes on the stock 10 bolt..... but he is needing a car that he can rely on to be a daily driver.... and a strong rear end isn't gunna help when ya got a weak link between it and the motor...

Why I'm stressing on this sooo much I have no idea... I guess I've been there is the reason... I dunno

Search this Thread