Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The mustang to f-body switch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The mustang to f-body switch!

Hey guys whats up. Right now i have a 96 gt 5sp with a few mods. This is my second mustang gt. Ive had it for over a year now, but i am seriously considering getting a black A4 ls1 trans am. I want to know everybodys opinion on the switch. I do alot of traffic driving, so i want to get an a4. ive never had an automatic car, so im kinda nervous about this decision and if i'll like it. i'll get a converter, gears, and shift kit thogh lol.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

96 gt to an ls1 will be a nice step up in power.

definitely go for it. the auto cars are still very good. some things even better about them, like you can't brake the rear as easily.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey brother, dont let anybody tell u anything thing about an automatic to a manual, i have always had automatic camaros, im on my third now and dont ever look back. u dont have to worry about breaking your re-end at the track, its grat in traffic, and who do u know that can shift faster or at the right time better than a well-tuned automatic. whenever i go to the track and race my buddies' ss and i beat him with my z with less hp he trys to rag on me about all the work he has to do to launch correctly and all that **** and all i have to do is mash the gas when that last set of yellows drops, i just tell him thats his fault!!!!!
Old 03-22-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Get a 2001 or 2002 A4, converter, some sticky tires, and never look back (except to see those Mustangs in your rearview mirror).
Old 03-22-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

i did that switch. i had a 96 GT auto. it was nice sounding but not any go. i would definitely do it. youll get hell from your stang buddies but after riding in a 96 GT and switching to an LS1....you wont believe the difference. they wont be able to complain too much. its a good switch, id go for it. the 4r70w in the stangs though is built better than the 4l60e. its a much tougher tranny. but a built 4l60e is a tough SOB. if you want more power and are wondering if its worth it....Definitely yes!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

If your Mustang buddies give you any ****, tell them to pull up next to you at the line. FYI, I'm also an ex-Mustang owner.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

I have a 2001 Mustang GT and am looking to trade it in on an LS1. Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, always have, always will. But I just want something easier to mod.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by then00b
I have a 2001 Mustang GT and am looking to trade it in on an LS1. Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, always have, always will. But I just want something easier to mod.
Its never about ease, its about $$$. A 2001 Mustang GT with a 9psi Kenne Bell and a proper tune will rape most street LS1s and Cobras. But are you willing to spend 6k for that? Also are you going to install it, if your mustang is almost paid off its not worth it. That's just my opinion.

Before the switch to the WS6 I ran a 92 Mustang GT with a 347, a 2001 Cobra w/procharger.

A bolt on Mach 1 will get you into 12s just as easily as an LS1 but beyond that forced induction is your only option. Personally in the end it depends on what you're really doing with the car. I got the WS6 cause I wanted to do a 450rwhp N/A build up and I believe this car was the cheapest way to go. That and Ive never owned an automatic and I wanted some ease after many friend clutches.