LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking of an LT-1 Z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of an LT-1 Z28

Hey all, I am thinking about picking up an LT-1 Z28 for my driver and was wondering how much of a pain in the @$$ is it to work on and maybe do some mods such as a cam or exhaust upgrade... I have never owned an LT-1 car so that is whay I am asking you guys.

I would like a mid-13's car to scoot back and forth to work in.

Also what is the going value for a nice Z? I need to check KBB...there is anice one near here but not sure ont he value....miss my LS1.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Banned

Alright Im a car dealer so listen I have some idea of what im talking about.

For the most part, the SBC LT1 is a reliable motor, with 22-28 mpg, and both drivetrains are good options.

As far as working on them, they can be a pain in the ***, but if you have a lift and some days off, you'll be fine.

With my present mods, I've ran a 13.8 with a not so good 60ft for having new tires.
Headers, Y Pipe and an Exhaust and I should be close to mid 13's.

PROS : Loud, Reliable, Durable, Cheap to buy for the most part
CONS : Opti-Spark, A4's will need a rebuild around 80-120k, expensive and time consuming to fix IF they do decide to break.

You should, as a normal consumer be able to get a 94-97 LT1 Camaro or Firebird, with around 60-80K for... hmmm. i'd say $4500-8000, depending on car.
At an auction, I get cars for about 1/3 of what they book for. ( Not repos, Trade in's for new cars )

But I didnt buy mine from an auction.
i didnt want a deal, i wanted a nice Black hardtop 1LE
Old 03-22-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Topend...thanks for the advice...yes my dad was a wholesale dealer for over 40 years before he passed away....spent many nights as a kid in those auctions....lol

my 98Z was very relaible and durible but we traded it on a new truck...wife has that since she has the kids all the time so I may be looking for a new toy....currenlty have a thirdgen but having a new baby and looking to move soon is too much for me right now.

Not sure if I want an auto or six speed as of yet....I have heard of the opti-spark problem and I can almost assume with that kind ofmileage, I will need to go through a trans or rear end. Just want something to drive back and forth to work but tinker with at the same time.

Thanks again! Mike
Old 03-22-2006, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mikes98z
Topend...thanks for the advice.. Not sure if I want an auto or six speed as of yet....I have heard of the opti-spark problem and I can almost assume with that kind ofmileage, I will need to go through a trans or rear end. Just want something to drive back and forth to work but tinker with at the same time. Thanks again! Mike
Many Taxi cabs in have over 200K on the original opti!!

Opti's are very precise when they work, but installing them is very tricky and needs to be done by someone who has did it before.

It's when people start modding thier cars ( young kids ) and think that it will slap right in, even if they have a book. Some things just require experience.
But IMO, opti's are ok.

I bought an A4 (auto) because im presently in college all year round ( tech school ) and its my DD, so I dont want to be shifting all the time, I have to much other **** to do.

If youre just going to work, I'd get the M6, theyre FUN!
But the A4 is a good choice too, and its easier on the stock 10 bolt rear, even with mods.

Good Luck!
Old 03-22-2006, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mikes98z
Hey all, I am thinking about picking up an LT-1 Z28 for my driver and was wondering how much of a pain in the @$$ is it to work on and maybe do some mods such as a cam or exhaust upgrade... I have never owned an LT-1 car so that is whay I am asking you guys.

I would like a mid-13's car to scoot back and forth to work in.

Also what is the going value for a nice Z? I need to check KBB...there is anice one near here but not sure ont he value....miss my LS1.

Thanks
Mike
Terrible daily driver, low to the ground, bad mpg, etc, etc. try changing the plugs. Ive got one and wish i had something else as a DD. Dont get me wrong, i use to love my car lol
Old 03-22-2006, 11:44 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

as far as a only car, its prolly not the BEST car out there, but hey, its decent. My cars stock height and its a pain in the *** getting in and out of. but its runnin good with the miles in the sig. with suspension upgrades, and some tires, you will be in the mid 13's if you can drive. Might break the rear tho, so be prepaired.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:25 AM
Teching In

I love my car, it's an awesome daily driver the only reason i'm selling it is to get a 6spd. As far as working on them, spark plugs aren't the easiest but def. not rocket science. my car has 120,000 on it and runs like a dream, no rear problems or tranny problems. Gas mileage isn't too bad either cuz i have 2.73 gears which = 1500 RPM's at 80 mph. Hell fly up here and drive mine home
Old 03-23-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
Terrible daily driver, low to the ground, bad mpg, etc, etc.
I beg to differ. I like cars low to the ground, and don't give a **** about mpg. That is a minor inconvenience I gladly put up with for a loud, fast, fun car.

Everyone has different priorities for what they want in a car, even a daily driver.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Regular

I had a 98Z and it was my daily...I had a blast driving it but ever try putting a car seat in one of those....eegad! Plus we needed to haul stuff around.

The place we will be moving to is only about 25 minutes away from work...right now I drive 1 hour 15-30 minutes each way....it sucks so I will be glad to get closer. right now I drive the wifes old 92 corolla....

I had a 94 a long time ago but it was a 3.4 car..ok for getting around but with some suspension and tire upgrades, a Z should ride fine.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Just bought my Z about a month ago with 114XXX on the clock. Runs great but I needed to replace a few things in order to pass emissions. Started off replacing the cats and ended up doing a complete tune up.

To have a tune up done by a local shop is expensive. Whenever i called about it the response was "O you have that vette motor". Most places wanted between $900 and $1600 for a tune up. Makes sense to me know why lots of people get rid of these cars after $100K miles. If your gonna get one be prepared to spend a little money. Like I said mine ran fine when I bought it but I plan on keeping this car for a long time so I spent the money and replaced the distributer, water pump, plugs wires, and MSD cap and rotor.

I raced an 05 Mustang GT the other day and kicked his butt. Not bad for a car I paid $5K for.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Im sure he is aware they are not the easiest car to get into or out of.
I know this, im 6'2 200 Lbs, but its not that bad.
Develop a good technique and it aint no different.
Remember, this is no Grand Am, an Fbody is a real sports car.
Yes it will be low to the ground, but alot of cars are, just be careful if youre going down shitty roads, and be cautious in unknown places & parking lots.

Since youre going to work and back, IMO I think it will be a great car.
From April to November, the Z is my only transportation, wherever i go. ( Upstate NY, I drive my winter car unitl roads clear up )And the pluses it has ( low end grunt like a son of a bitch, which is great for DD, loud exhaust and I think its real comfy ) defitinly outweigh the negatives.
If you dont all out race it every chance you get they are great cars.
Of course you can put it down once in awhile, sure thats what its made for.
But abuse and use are too different things.
IMO, its a great and fun DD that turns heads and get you around quick.
No waiting to pass slow annoying people... just giver some juice..and byby

Quick Reply: Thinking of an LT-1 Z28