New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how incompatible are 98s with the other years? worth it for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how incompatible are 98s with the other years? worth it for turbo?

Im looking at getting an LS1 specifically to turbo it in this year, maybe next year at latest. I found a 98 im intrested in but im worried about it being a 98! I know the computer and a buncha other lil things are different. Like it has the older style fuel tank etc. I really want to get into an LS1 due to the very very big aftermarket for em, but seems alotta stuff might not work on a 98? Like fuel system upgrades are offfered for 99+ cars as a plug and play system it seems, but it wont work on a 98. Will i be an outcast to the aftermarket parts companies due to having a 98? I have pretty big plans for the car and dont want to start out on a less then ideal platform.

Or am i just crazy? Your opinions are all welcome, thankyou.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you get a turbo, you might want to have a shop tune it, and with hptuners and ls1edit a 98 can be tuned. I tune my own car. 98's actually have a larger fuel system stock than the 99's and 00's. 28lb injectors as compared to 24lb. And we have a larger cam. The only downside is that we don't have the ls6 intake stock, which would be a good addition in a turbo setup. I know that we can have fuel system upgrades as well. just look through the sponsors... ---->
Old 03-23-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

The 98-00's all have the same cam I thought. But anyways your going to change most everything internally, going with a larger fuel system and a different intake like FAST 90/90 for the turbo setup so I don't think it would matter much, and like said you will be going with a dyno tune so that doesn't really matter either.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok just wondering if its a pain to tune the 98s or anything like taht, i know the computer is different. Like you said it will be dyno tuned probably at speed inc and im sure they can handle it. It will end up with a fast intake and a 90mm throttle body so im not worried about that. Its just all the stories i hear of 98s having stuff tahts completely different then all teh other years, are the 98s supported as well as the 99+? Just what kinda issues i may run into. I dunno just wanan know what im getting into exactly as im still fairly new to the LS1 thing.
Old 03-25-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

The pcm is slightly different on the 98. But if you have q's about how well speed inc can tune it, drop em an email. I seriously doubt they would have a problem with it. The only other thing i remember being singled out about the 98's is that they sometimes have a troublesome knock sensor, but speed inc can handle that as well.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

our 98's also have a different casting for the block. I don't remember the exact details but I think the oil or cooling routing isn't as good. We also have thinner cylinder walls so they can only be VERY lightly touched up for a rebuild. If you're going FI, I would start saving for a new, low compression, short block for when the stocker quits.

I think there's also something about the '98's not being able to do "speed density" mode or something like that.

You can get a lot more answers in electronics sections I'm sure. There's nothing hugely different with the 98's though.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

the heads are also different on the 98's. most aftermarket heads won't work.

I think the 98's are perimeter bolt.

If you are going turbo buy a ls1 with a blown motor, cheaper to buy that way. rebuild it with forged internals, then put your turbo on. just trying to save you some money in the long run
Old 03-27-2006, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All you need to use the "center bolt valve cover heads" on a 97/98 ls1 is a set of center bolt valve covers.

ie
the 97/98 ls1's have perimeter bolt valve covers and the 99up have center bolt covers. The heads attach to the block in the same way. Patriot sells portedvperimiter bolt heads.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

98-00 all have 853 heads, w/98's having perimeter bolts. Valvecovers are all thats needed when buying different heads.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:08 AM
TECH Resident

Speed Inc tuned my 98 dead on.

To me, there aren't any issues to be concerned about other than the valve covers. You'll ditch the air and egr anyway, so that doesn't matter...and I'm sure you'll add an LS6 intake also. You don't even need to reroute the cooling lines to make it work, just grind a couple of ribs off the base of the LS6 intake and it fits right on.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

is it easier that way then changin the coolant lines??? just clip the bottom of the LS6 intake to let the stock ones stay under there.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

That's what I did...it took 5 minutes with a dremel. Just take your time and be really careful, if you screw up you're going right through the floor of the manifold. I would have changed the coolant lines, but they were on backorder and I would have had to wait weeks for them, so I said screw it and ground off the ribs instead. A lot of other people did the same thing, nobody had any problems with it.