Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

If you had the time/money...

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If you had the time/money...

This thread's kinda a hybrid between appearance and electronics, but I figured I'd put it here.

What would you do to your car? Here's my list (excluding performance). Too bad a hardtop convertible isn't possible with our car's body lines.

1) Replace center console with a harder plastic, covered in leather with a true brushed aluminum top. Center console would be much flatter on top and have a shorter shifter that has the shift path of those auto/manual transmissions (i've got an A4).

2) Relocate HVAC to the TCS/Lighter area and put in a 10" Touchscreen with GPS/Phone Bluetooth/mp3 etc.

3) Get a smaller steering wheel w/airbag and less cheasy/cheap plastic feeling radio controls.

4) Set up the steering column in the style of the new lexus's, where it is raised all the way when you enter the car and when you push the start button it lowers to your set position.

5) Shaved handles/door solenoids. Shaved trunk keyhole.

6) Mercedes/Lexus style entry that when the key is near the car it unlocks and when it's inside the car is push-button startable (also remote startable).

7) Advanced HVAC with temperature regulating settings (good combination with remote start).

8) Advanced windowing, such that the t-tops have a small 1/2 CM area where the window actually rolls up into it (seen on most mercedes and audi's that i've been in). Windows roll down slightly when you pull the door handle so that the door can open, eliminating the wind noise problems with weatherstripping. I already installed remote roll-down, but I'd also like remote roll-up without having to attach it to the lock channel.

9) Seats with memory positions. (ehh.. not sure if I want this. Right now if the gf ever needs to the borrow the car I've got something to bitch about and a lame reason to say no. although those seats with the air conditioned lower back area could be cool)

10) Bi-xenon HID's

11) A dream vertical door kit that doesn't look like *** and doesn't need to be opened outward before going up. I'd like this for functionality in tight spaces more than looks, and the current ones are just for appearance (IMO). Might not be possible with t-tops. Only way I can think is that there is a flexible arm that replaces the fuse box area and is strong enough to lift the door out (an inch or so) and then straight up. Again, I'm no expert but I don't think this is possible w/o completely re-doing the dash and door and dropping a ridiculous dollar amount in to labor, so this is a no-go. But hey this is the dreaming thread so I might as well list it. The other option is to somehow make the door "slide" backwards like opening a cockpit to get out. That would be very cool if it didn't look like a minivan door.

Of course, by the time I did all this I coulda just bought an sl55.

What have you guys always wanted to do?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an SS hood, 96 SS spoiler with 96 SS tailights(to confuse people).
Then get a custom dark blue color mixed up that is actually blue and not blue with purple and black. Then I'd convert the t-tops to a hardtop and paint the roof the body color. I'd do some sort of custom white stripe job down the center of the car with it outlined in red. Get a set of custom 18" Boyd Polished wheels.

The interior is pretty basic and crappy, so I don't see the point of putting a lot of money into it. I'd definetly convert to the T/A door panels and get some Recaro seats. Maybe change out the dash, carpet and plastics to black instead of GM's stupid million shades of grey. Do the seats and door panels with some blue suede inserts and some blue floor mats.

Last edited by AronZ28; 03-23-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AronZ28
GM's stupid million shades of grey.
quote of the day
Old 03-23-2006, 01:22 PM
Launching!

Have the car painted som or hugger orange
black yenko type stripes
Set of TT2`s or convo pro
295/50/15 or 315/35/17
6 inch back spoiler
98 Camaro front end
widened rear fenders
Altezza tailights
4 inch cowl hood
Katzkin leather interior two tone, glow gauge

There is a lot more I would put on it if I had the money.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Well, if I HAD The time/money to do anything.

I would start by disassembling the whole car. Get it down to just the uni. The repaint the uni body and inspect it for any signs of rusting/twisting. Id replace the whole front sub frame with new, along with the suspension, all brand new.

The motor would be bored .030 over, have all forged internals, 400 crank. I'd put a big cam in it, something that sounded sick, and loved juice. I'd have the heads redone by someone, and port my intake and match it to a BBK TB, polished. I'd also have the engine detailed, block black, intake black with polished ribs, heads black, chrome valve covers, and a polished SLP CIA matched to a polished elbow. I'd finish up the engine bay with a red top batt, !wires, and just make the engine bay look sweet. I'd match that sweet 383lt1 to a built t56, then to a carbon drive shaft, then to a Moser 12 bolt with 3.73 gears, full suspension out back too. All BMR stuff as far as suspension goes. Full length headers, ORY, and GMMG cat back. I'd have them paint the B pillar and mirrors black, and put me a ws6 hood on it. I'd do the CETA bumper, and VHT the tails, along with wet sanding the center section. Then for the INT I'd go with the ebony camaro INT, minus door panels, I'd go with T/A door panels. CR1 seats, and a pro5.0 shifter and LSS. Then for the icing on the cake, lower the front a inch, stick some skinnys up front, and some bad *** DOT approved meats out back... Maybe even a set of black zo6 motor sports for street use.

Ah dreams.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 572ysc
Have the car painted som or hugger orange
widened rear fenders
Forgot about the widebody. I'd definetly turn my car into a replica of the Sunoco race Camaro, only hugger orange(because there is already one blue one).

Old 03-23-2006, 06:30 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

^^^I think I just threw up a little..

In my pants... That car is so ******* hot.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Chop 3" out of the roof.
Paint it a dark grey.
Fikse FM5's
Old 03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Umm...I would leave the one I have the way it is. I would get a new one, same year. I would build a street/mutli-purpose track car (meaning straight line and road course.) I would either build the LT1 as far as I could or get a big block It would look competley stock on the outside besides hood pins, lower ride height, window tint(on lexan windows I might add) and the tires. The interior would look something like a GT1 race car, only stuff you need, nothing ya don't. 2 race seats in front, no back seats. roll cage and all that other important race car stuff. The window tint would be dark enough where no one could see these details with the doors closed. I would paint in Metallic Blue or BRIGHT Metallic orange. It would have full exhaust (likely SLP Loudmouth), but with long tube headers and cut outs. I have a vision in my head but its hard (for me) to describe it where you would get a perfect vision of it.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

gucci pattern paint, gucci interior, spinners, with a BIG lift, and 10 screens lol..... replace internals, huge cam...and call it a day...or better yet do an engine swap with a viper killer

Quick Reply: If you had the time/money...