Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bottle valve/siphon tube comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bottle valve/siphon tube comparison

in preparation for the upcoming nozzle test, i was swapping the four bottle valves to the NX bottle valves that were supplied by NX. thought i would share what i saw.

three things you'll see right off the bat when looking at the compucar and NX bottle valve/siphon tube combo.

first is siphon tube size. the NX is 3/8" OD. the compucar is 1/2" OD. the ny-trex is 3/8" OD. i can almost fit the NX inside the compucar. which tells me you would get more volume through the compucar. second is how each company bends their siphon tubes. also, ny-trex adds a flare at the end. third, the 45* angle outlet of the NX versus the 90* angle of the compucar and ny-trex. the NX having a better flow coming out of the valve.

here you can see how much thicker the compucar siphon tube is compared to the NX and ny-trex. makes it harder to flex and bend. i have seen my ny-trex siphon tube bent out of shape after using it for some time. it has the same thickness as the NX.

here, you can see that compucar threads their siphon tube into the valve. the NX is pressed in. ny-trex uses an AN fitting. we have heard about siphon tubes falling out of the valves. looks like compucar and ny-trex solved that one.

now, we look at the bottle nuts. NX supplies a two piece design. the compucar and ny-trex is the traditional single piece.

the NX two piece design eliminates the gasket that's needed with the single piece design. look into the single piece nut. with it sitting flat, the nitrous runs into the hole and it creates some turbulence. the two piece design slides into the valve. thus, getting rid of that turbulent area. it's a minor difference. but, every little bit helps.

Last edited by mrr23; 03-28-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

No worry about the tube falling out. It is sealed into the valve.
Ricky
Old 03-23-2006, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

good deal. what do you think about the size of the tube?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is it a common practice to point the siphon tube opening towards the part or the bottle valve where the bottle nut goes? Do all the companies do it like this?

In the pictures it seems as if both are pointed the exact same way...

Sorry for the 'newbie' question, I am just trying to learn.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2006, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

yes, gives you a point of reference when orientating the bottle. ny-trex does it 90* from the bottle nut outlet. most of the others do it the same direction as the bottle nut outlet.

which brings me to something i was thinking about. why not have it come straight out the top? gets rid of the bend which is a restriction. and when you think about it, it gets rid of the hose having to make an almost immediate bend out of the bottle. most people put the bottle laying on the trunk area, the driveshaft tunnel, or the spare tire well. instead of it pointing down at the floor and having to bend the hose, it would come out of the top. which is why ny-trex turns it 90*. the siphon tube is pointed downward and the outlet is pointed towards the passenger side. kinda smart on that one.

i'll have pics of the ny-trex one soon. have to empty the bottle. and don't want to waste it.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. It is much appreciated by many of us here.

I was asking about the pick-up tube orientation as I am wondering which way mine (nitrous direct) is pointed. I would like to know so as to make sure that the one I have it pointed in the right direction for the best pickup. I may still have to take it out and check? That ought to be fun!

When you are re-installing your bottle valve, About how tight do you try to get it? and Do you use any of the teflon paste or anything on the threads? I was not sure if it was needed here.

Thanks mrr23 for posting up this product comparison thread and pictures for us. A picture is worth a thousand words...
Old 03-24-2006, 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

as far as i know, only ny-trex orients the siphon tube 90* from the bottle nut outlet. the rest orient it with the bottle nut outlet. there is an o-ring at the top of the bottle valve where the threads are. no teflon paste needed.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by mrr23
good deal. what do you think about the size of the tube?
The size of the tube has very little to do with the package deal. The larger tube that is thick walled is used because it can be threaded.
This threading aids in 2 ways.
1st. It makes the installation time shorter than dealing with a compression fitting less labor cost putting a bottle together.
2nd. The compression fitting could come loose or if over tightened causes an internal bump in the tube cuase a small restriction.

Take a look at the internal size of the hole, the larger tube will flow more if thats all there was to it. going up the tube into the valve you will hit the valves orifice, that holes size has a lot to do with flow. Now continue on to the out let, the large open area allows the nitrous to expand and slam into the large nut as seen in you pictures more restrictions.

I do like that Compu Car gives you both -6 and -4 with the kit.

The small tube in the NX valve is maxed to the orifice size in the valve, then on the exit we have keep the ID small to aid in the nitrous flowing not expanding.

Now as far as the tube indexing, you can remove the valve and tweek the tube as needed. I do not agree with turing the tube in all the valves unless that is stated on the bottle. Industry standard is the bottom on siphon tube matches the outlet of the valve.

Ricky
Old 03-24-2006, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by mrr23
which brings me to something i was thinking about. why not have it come straight out the top? gets rid of the bend which is a restriction. and when you think about it, it gets rid of the hose having to make an almost immediate bend out of the bottle. most people put the bottle laying on the trunk area, the driveshaft tunnel, or the spare tire well. instead of it pointing down at the floor and having to bend the hose, it would come out of the top.
mrr23- NX has a valve that is exactly what you describe. Our DF-5 valve is by far the highest flowing valve in the nitrous industry. It's siphon tube has an inside diameter of 5/8" and the inside diameter of the valve itself a true 1/2" orifice. It's basically a custom ball-valve that has a straight through design. If there was ever a be-all end-all of parts I would say that this valve definately is king of of hill . The only downside is that they are a little costly
Old 03-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Restricted User

Any pics of the DF-5 Valve? I would pay for it just to keep from having to kink the damn main-line as it bends down to a loop and back up and over the rear tire well.

I take my bottles apart twice a year to inspect and clean, then assemble, vacuum and fill.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:04 PM
FormerVendor

This is what the valve looks like with a gauge in it. Keep in mind, that to use this valve you will need an -8AN nitrous hose to connect the bottle to the nitrous solenoid(s). This valve is unreal in how much it flows, it can empty a full 10lb. in only a couple of seconds , and not much longer to completely empty a full 15lb. bottle. The DF-5 is also very easy to disassemble for maintenance. The nipple unthreads from the body of the valve to give you access to the guts of the valve.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
10 Second Club

that's perty.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:30 AM
Staging Lane

Why is it a siphon tube must be used? I know its to pickup liquid nitrous when the bottle is mounted, but why cant the siphon tube be removed then mount the bottle the opposite way(point valve towards back/down and bottom of cylinder up/forward)??
Old 03-27-2006, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by frknlo
Why is it a siphon tube must be used? I know its to pickup liquid nitrous when the bottle is mounted, but why cant the siphon tube be removed then mount the bottle the opposite way(point valve towards back/down and bottom of cylinder up/forward)??
It can it just a pain in the back side to do it that way.
Ricky

Last edited by NXRICKY; 03-27-2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frknlo
That's how I run my bottle on my Harley, upside down with no tube.
Robert
Old 03-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Nice so I can try it that way! Since the bottle is mounted in the bed there are no clearence issues. I may just try this after the track closes.
Is one setup better than the other? If you had a choice which would be best?
Old 03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
10 Second Club

ok, updated the pics and comments in the first post to reflect the ny-trex bottle valve and siphon tube.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:26 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NXJeremy
This is what the valve looks like with a gauge in it. Keep in mind, that to use this valve you will need an -8AN nitrous hose to connect the bottle to the nitrous solenoid(s). This valve is unreal in how much it flows, it can empty a full 10lb. in only a couple of seconds , and not much longer to completely empty a full 15lb. bottle. The DF-5 is also very easy to disassemble for maintenance. The nipple unthreads from the body of the valve to give you access to the guts of the valve.

I opened a bottle up with one of those valves goofing off one time. My feet were not plated good and it put me on my butt.
Dave

Quick Reply: bottle valve/siphon tube comparison