General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Another Horn Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Horn Problem

Two days ago I nearly got side swiped when some stupid chick in a POS Skylark almost merged right into me. Keep in mind that I was in the right lane and she merged from the left. Right through her lane and about halfway into mine. I laid on the horn which just barely kept her from slamming into me. That Fu__ing cu_t never even saw me. It was in the middle of the day and I even drive with my head lights on at all times just for this reason and she still didn't see me.

Anyway, after the sustained blast, my horn doesn't work right. It sounds but it is very weak. I read that the horns are adjustable but I'm not sure were they are located and I thought I'd ask if anyone here could provide any advice on access, adjustment, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by The Interceptor; 03-23-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure about adjustment but they are located in the passenger wheel well. Take the black plastic off from the bumper to the fender you'll see them.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think some aftermarket horns may be adjustable. Try blasting the horn for awhile. Really sounds like you are going to need a new one though.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The stockers are "adjustable." There is a screw in each housing (there are two horns) that changes the impedence of the horns. Problem is that they are hooked up in series, so it is uber difficult to get both working again. I got someone to sit in the car and hit the horn, while I turned the screw 1/4 turn increments. They will get hot when you do this. Once you get the screws set where both horns work, let them cool off and then silicone the screws down so they wont move. It's a real PITA.

I eventually solved this by chopping off both horns and putting on a pair of 85 dodge truck horns. Theyare louder, and so far (20 years) they have not needed adjustment.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe I read where rain gets into the stock horns and messes them up. I blew my horn once 2 years ago and ever since my low horn has not worked. The high horn is the only one working and it sounds soooo
Old 03-25-2006, 08:29 PM
Teching In

I thought I'd let everyone know how I fixed my horn.

I started by removing seven of the bolts that hold up the "cover" under the front bumber directly in front of the passenger side front tire.

I then unplugged the horns from the wiring harness and removed the two nuts that hold the horns to their mounting bracket.

I then laid the horns out on top of the battery area in the engine compartment and plugged the wiring harness back in. The harness will reach up to where the battery is without a problem. I then hit the panic button on my key fob to test the horns and found out that it was the low frequency horn that was not working. I turned the adjustment screw on the horn counterclockwise 1/4 turn at a time and continued testing it but that didn't bring it back to life. I ended up having to turn the screw clockwise 1/4 turn at a time until it finally started working again.

I re-installed the horns and put everything back together.

It took about an hour total.
Old 03-27-2006, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice. That could have been much worse.