LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What next?

I'm running out of bolt-on mods. I'm going to be buying some softer rear shocks and BFG DRs next paycheck, but other than that, what should I do next? SFCs? LT headers?

I'd like a full bolt-on car before I do an LE2 H/C package.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Either of your bolt on ideas would be great. On your DR's though I highly suggest getting M/T drag radials they are stepps above BFG's.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by M29_Formula
I'm going to be buying some softer rear shocks
These cars do not respond well to a soft rear suspension. The initial "hit" might look cool, but right after that the tires will unload. Better to buy adjustable front shocks to aid weight transfer.

Daren
Old 03-24-2006, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GIZMO
These cars do not respond well to a soft rear suspension. The initial "hit" might look cool, but right after that the tires will unload. Better to buy adjustable front shocks to aid weight transfer.

Daren
I'm running over-valved Koni double adjustable Auto-X "cheater" shocks. I have the fronts set to full firm and the rears soft. The car is still stiff as all hell. You can't even make the front of the car move if you put your weight on the fender and try to compress it and bounce it. The rear is almost as bad. All I know is that I have SEVERE traction issues in 1st and 2nd. I can just lay into the throttle in 2nd at 40mph and the car will spin until almost the top of the gear. I guess maybe it just might be a tire issue -- I have Kumho Ecstas with about 6/32s left on them.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a drag racing you need to loosen your front end up. The rear needs to be stiff. In addition I run an air bag in the passenger rear spring and a stiff rear sway bar. Good tires are the difference betwean day and nite.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, SFC's and LT's are both good ideas. And as they said, tires are a big deal... so you might as well spend the money and go all or nothing.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by M29_Formula
I'm running over-valved Koni double adjustable Auto-X "cheater" shocks. I have the fronts set to full firm and the rears soft. The car is still stiff as all hell. You can't even make the front of the car move if you put your weight on the fender and try to compress it and bounce it. The rear is almost as bad. All I know is that I have SEVERE traction issues in 1st and 2nd. I can just lay into the throttle in 2nd at 40mph and the car will spin until almost the top of the gear. I guess maybe it just might be a tire issue -- I have Kumho Ecstas with about 6/32s left on them.

kumho's are a decent tire, i have them. but it comes down to side wall, low pros are going to have trouble finding good traction.