LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam swap...really worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam swap...really worth it?

I have been told that just a cam swap is not worth it. Been hearing that unless I do head work I won't see the hp gains to justify the time and money of just a cam swap. I really want to gain more hp, but I need to pass a smog test here in socal. I was looking at the cc305 with a 114 lsa and supporting valvetrain mods. All that with a good tune and I think passing won't be a problem. However if what I have been hearing is true then I will just save up for a procharger. (I mean I don't wanna spend a alot of money but if I have to in order to gain horsepower and stay smog legal then maybe that's what is gonna have to happen).

Let me know what you all think about this topic.
Old 03-24-2006, 07:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

it will make a helluva difference... but recommend saving and doing heads at the same time... it would be a whole new car
Old 03-24-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Dragframe
it will make a helluva difference... but recommend saving and doing heads at the same time... it would be a whole new car
I would love to do a heads cam combo but I'm pretty sure the car won't pass smog here in socal afterwards. Thus the reason for just a cam swap.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

If you want about 40rwhp and half a second off your quarter mile times, then yes, it's worth it.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:05 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by musclehead
I have been told that just a cam swap is not worth it. Been hearing that unless I do head work I won't see the hp gains to justify the time and money of just a cam swap. I really want to gain more hp, but I need to pass a smog test here in socal. I was looking at the cc305 with a 114 lsa and supporting valvetrain mods. All that with a good tune and I think passing won't be a problem. However if what I have been hearing is true then I will just save up for a procharger. (I mean I don't wanna spend a alot of money but if I have to in order to gain horsepower and stay smog legal then maybe that's what is gonna have to happen).

Let me know what you all think about this topic.
It's definitely worth it, especially with the size cam your considering to go with stock heads. If you have a high mileage motor 100k, etc it's risky as you'll learn from some research, take a chance of spinning a main bearing, trashing old cam bearings, etc. Of course heads/cam combo would be better but the same rules apply for high mileage motors.

To save up for a Procharger and expect to get all of what it's capable of you'd be smart to do a cam/head/valvetrain swap anyway. Just to throw a Procharger on your engine with stock heads/cam/valvetrain would be a bad move.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Depending what state you are in, 1995 and back are not emissions tested because of the OBD1 Computer system. And the Cam will be a very noticible difference, get 1.6 RR with it. The cam helps your capability, I redline at 6500 RPM, shift points at 6100 rpm, instead of redlining at 5700. Who ever told you that cams are not worth it doesn't know cars...
Old 03-26-2006, 12:16 AM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Definatly a good move to swap cams. Like Matt said you get ponies and e/ts.
Just make sure you reasarch the hell out of it, dont just pick something and not know what it is.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:32 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Whomever said that is probably more familiar with older applications with crappy heads, our heads are pretty good stock so the cam is the first cork in the system. Also good head porting would not hurt emmisions so don't use that as a reason not to port them.
Old 03-26-2006, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I really like mine