Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end and Clutch Issues.. PLEASE HELP!

Old 03-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end and Clutch Issues.. PLEASE HELP!

I have had my 02 ws6 in the shop now for almost a month and finally got it back today. I had the slave cylinder and clutch disc, pressure plate, and flywheel replaced. First thing I notice is that the clutch pedal is extremely soft and doesn't engage until it almost hits the floor. Used to be nice and stiff and you barely had to tap it to get it to engage. Is this something that just needs adjustment? I want my nice stiff pedal back! Also, I had my ring and pinion gears and pinion seal replaced as well as my bearings. There was a whining noise on decelleration when I took the car in and now it is louder than ever with new gears! The dealership said that they used aftermarket gears and of course he said that they were just as good as the stockers (probably b.s.) He said that the noise should disappear within 400 miles and that it just needs to go through the "break-in" period. Do you guys think this is the case and that it will get better on its own? Or do they need to readjust the gears or possibly even replace them with GM OEM gears altogether? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anything the noise will only get worse. What kind of gears are they? Some of them do make more noise than others, but it's more like a roar in my opinion. A whine may be indicative that it is set up too tightly. I'd have them take another look at it, it seems like they are relying on the whole 'aftermarket gear' excuse to make up for a bad install..

As far as the pedal, it is soft because it needs to be bled. Take it back to the dealership and tell them to finish the job. Once all of the air is gone the pedal will return to its firm state. The new masters & slaves are often pre-bled from GM, but its still a good idea to rebleed once they are installed.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keliente
If anything the noise will only get worse. What kind of gears are they? Some of them do make more noise than others, but it's more like a roar in my opinion. A whine may be indicative that it is set up too tightly. I'd have them take another look at it, it seems like they are relying on the whole 'aftermarket gear' excuse to make up for a bad install..

As far as the pedal, it is soft because it needs to be bled. Take it back to the dealership and tell them to finish the job. Once all of the air is gone the pedal will return to its firm state. The new masters & slaves are often pre-bled from GM, but its still a good idea to rebleed once they are installed.
Thanks for the tips.. Im not sure what kind of gears they are.. Whatever is stock for the 02 WS6 which are 3.73 I think. The noise is very loud and I can even hear it over my loudmouth exhaust. So you think that all that needs to be done with the clutch is bleed the slave? Ive heard of adjustable masters and slaves, so I thought It might be a simple adjustment.. Any ideas of what the gm specs are for the gears so I can give these to the dealership?

Search this Thread