Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Diagnose this problem

Old 03-25-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Diagnose this problem

I picked up my car today that was wrecked in December. Looks great, doesn't drive for crap. The former problem I posted on here is this, the car wouldn't shift gears while running, but would go into gear when turned off. The clutch is a RAM Powergrip Stage II or III, I really don't remember. Now the problem is the complete opposite. I have full pressure in the pedal, so there is no air in the hydrolic line. The clutch slips in every gear continuously and is non-driveable. I think the shift plate on top of the tranny was installed backwards. The clutch does not fully engage, but the car drives down the road with major slippage. I can push the clutch pedal down three inches and shift gears. Anything more and it doesn't grab.

What do you all think is the problem?
Old 03-25-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the PP bolts may be loose causeing slipage and late disengagement to me.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed. Pull the trans now and check before you damage anything. Slipping clutch makes heat, heat causes stress, stress causes cracks, cracks result in explosions. Explosions = bad.
Old 03-25-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

i had a similar problem with my ram powergrip HD. It happened after I installed my line lock. no 1st no reverse and i couldnt put it into gear either. The slave blew out so i replaced that and my clutch with a new powergrip hd. Still have issues with reverse. its really tough to get into.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I pulled the tranny today and was shocked. The body shop/service center that did all my car work obviously doesn't know the correct way to do things. They didn't resurface the flywheel. I took the clutch to a tranny shop and had them look at it this afternoon. AAMCO said that it looks like the shop manual tried to resurface/rough up the disc on the pressure plate. The pads on the friction plate are fully glazed after 30 miles or less. Needless to say the clutch is foo bar. AAMCO gave me a written assessment stating the fault is from the installation. I am not going back to the shop because they don't know what they are doing. They tried to tell me the hydrolics still needed to be bled more. I will be reporting this crap to the insurance company and called RAM to see if they will possibly warranty the clutch. I doubt they will. To shorten the wait time I am going to order one tonight and get the ball rolling. If RAM gives me a new one, fine, I will return the one I am purchasing. Thanks for the replies.

I attached a couple pics of the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnose this problem-clutch1.jpg  
Old 03-25-2006, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

pic2 of the pull.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnose this problem-clutch3.jpg   Diagnose this problem-clutch4.jpg   Diagnose this problem-clutch5.jpg   Diagnose this problem-clutch6.jpg   Diagnose this problem-clutch7.jpg  

Old 03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Last set of pics.
Attached Thumbnails Diagnose this problem-clutch8.jpg   Diagnose this problem-clutch9.jpg  
Old 03-25-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks pretty hammered, that sucks, let us know how you made out

Search this Thread