Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Poly tranny mount, won't bolt up

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 12:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Poly tranny mount, won't bolt up

Hey everyone, i feel like an absolute moron...

as this seems to be one of the easiest mods, however i think there may be something wrong with the mount itself.

I tried to install the prothane poly mount, bolted it to the tranny, put the crossmember back on..and when i tried to torque the nut down on the stud, it just keeps turning, i read that the torque spec is 77ft lbs. But all i was trying for was 30 after i saw that it was just turning and not getting tighter.

just to get this straight, its mount, crossmember, flat washer, lockwasher, then nut?

I also just finished tearing off the whole front suspension to replace my k member, and did the poly motor mounts as well, so maybe i'm just a little tired and frustrated and missing something...

any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

anyone? guess i'll just put the stock one back on

this sucks, i really don't know if i'm doing something wrong or if the part is bad!
Old 03-25-2006, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Don't know about the instalation, but you'll want to go with a new factory mount anyway. I just had poly mount on and hated it so much I took it off within a week. Unless you are going for straight race car and not driving much/often, you'll be unsatisfied. Horrible vibrations, knocks, and chatters-squeeks. JMO though.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:05 AM
12 Second Club

yea thanks, guess a lot of people are experiencing the same things, upon further searching...but i'm gonna put the stock one back on simply because i don't see how the stud they give you is gonna hold anyway, its cheap as hell
Old 03-26-2006, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had no issues. Make sure the mount is placed correctly per the instructions. Mine went in with no issues. I love the poly mount. No vibrations or horror stories like everyone is supposedly. Try it once more before you go and buy a new stock mount.

Andy
Old 03-26-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the poly mount and it is absolutely necessary if you launch the car hard. Even a brand new stock rubber will give you wheel hop. I would trade a little vibration for no wheel hop any day.

BTW: I had a rubber mount on my car and was getting nasty wheel hop. Replace it with a poly one, and it went away
Old 03-27-2006, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by endub6
Don't know about the instalation, but you'll want to go with a new factory mount anyway. I just had poly mount on and hated it so much I took it off within a week. Unless you are going for straight race car and not driving much/often, you'll be unsatisfied. Horrible vibrations, knocks, and chatters-squeeks. JMO though.
Are you sure it was installed right?

Mine you can't even feel from 0-60mph normal driving and I have only 50 miles on it...it doesn't sound like you had it on right, I don't have any of those problems.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just installed mine and it feels great, are you forgeting to double nut the stud that goes into the bushing. By putting two nuts on the stud and driving them together you can then us the jammed nut to drive the stud fulling into the bushing. The stud must be fully installed inorder to torque the crossmember bolt to spec. BTW did you say the torque spec was 77lbs i didnt torque mine cuz i didn't know the spec. Also i did make a dynamat gasket for the shifter as well as wraping the stick with dynamat to reduce noise and vibration, it seems much quieter now even with the new bushing. Anyways if you have any questions just ask.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

dont tighten it up to the tranny before you bolt it up to the crossmember! once they go in the holes then tighten them and it will work
Old 03-27-2006, 11:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by endub6
I had the same thing, but I took off the pre-load spacer and it was just as quiet as the stock one.
Old 03-27-2006, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

does anyone have a complete write up for an lt1 on these poly mounts?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1TORQ
Just installed mine and it feels great, are you forgeting to double nut the stud that goes into the bushing. By putting two nuts on the stud and driving them together you can then us the jammed nut to drive the stud fulling into the bushing. The stud must be fully installed inorder to torque the crossmember bolt to spec. BTW did you say the torque spec was 77lbs i didnt torque mine cuz i didn't know the spec. Also i did make a dynamat gasket for the shifter as well as wraping the stick with dynamat to reduce noise and vibration, it seems much quieter now even with the new bushing. Anyways if you have any questions just ask.
yea the stock spec is 77lbs...

i did double nut it, and check this out, being that the stud and bolt just didn't feel right to me, all i tried was 30lbs at first....and the freakin stud snapped!
Old 03-28-2006, 01:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by qwikz28
dont tighten it up to the tranny before you bolt it up to the crossmember! once they go in the holes then tighten them and it will work
you mean the the 13mm bolts that bolt the mount to the tranny? just leave them loose? then bolt up the crossmember? isn't it kinda hard to get back to the two 13's on the mount once the crossmember is in the way?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

ok i did mine yesterday night, heres what i did step by step after putting the car on stands in the front. have someone give you a hand...

1. unbolted the one bolt connecting the tranny mount to the crossmember.
2. jacked up the tranny a slight bit. (leave the jack there because that will be the main thing holding up the transmission once the crossmember is out.
3. loosened up and removed the bolts for the crossmember and then dropped the crossmember to the floor.
4. loosened and removed the bolts for the stock tranny mount, then take the stock tranny mount and keep it aside in case you don't like the poly mount.
5. install the new trans mount as directed in instructions
quick aside: my car, Z28, the bolts aligned right up so i tightened the trans mount all the way before installing the crossmember. my friends car, V6 camaro, the bolts did not even come close to aligning up correctly so i left it as loose as possible and then got all the bolts to line up by having my friend hold up the crossmember and then forcing all the bolts in.
6. after the new trans mount is installed, install the crossmember but only hand tighten the bolts so it can slide around.
7. lower the jack enough for it to almost touch the crossmember and with the supplied bolt in the new trans mount (and a washer) put the bolt through the crossmember and move it around until it goes into the trans mount and tighten it a fair amount.
8. tighten the crossmember bolts then tighten the bolt going into the trans mount and thats it your done.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Maybe it's just Energy Suspension that sucks. Seems like everyone that had a good experience had the Prothane. And I did have the preload spacer in there, so that could have attributed to more vibrations.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Addict

i have energy suspension and its perfect... where do you live?
Old 03-29-2006, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Alabama, for about another month. I guess my problems could be from the installation. I did not do this myself, but had a shop do it. Normally if I was back home(AR) and had my shop and tools, I would have installed myself. Here in Birmingham I have no place to work on the Z.
Old 03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

im sorry then i dont know what to tell you. i took my car out for the first time since installing the trans mount and i almost cried it felt so nice.

Quick Reply: Poly tranny mount, won't bolt up