Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno Jet or Mustang???

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 06:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which is better? DynoJet or Mustang???

Hey guys, which dyno is better for tuning and accurate hp ratings and such? Basically which of the two is better?

Last edited by leftme4dead; 03-25-2006 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

I like the DynoJet interface alot more. Dynojet are more user friendly. Mustang used to be better because they can load the car so tuning on the dyno will be as close as possible when you run the car on the streets.

Now Dynojet have Eddie Current loader which will bascially make it load the car like a mustang dyno does. IMO this will make the Dynojet alot better than a mustang dyno even in tuning as well as all the other area.

Mustang dyno usually show 5-7% lower numbers than a dynojet which could annoy some people who are looking for higher numbers.

So at the end which one would I prefer. I would take the Dynojet with Eddie Current any day over a Mustang dyno.
Old 03-25-2006, 07:57 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

What is the cause of the difference between the 2 types? Is the Dynojet reading artificially high and the Mustang accurate, or is the Mustang artificially low and the Dynojet accurate?
Old 03-25-2006, 08:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HPP
What is the cause of the difference between the 2 types? Is the Dynojet reading artificially high and the Mustang accurate, or is the Mustang artificially low and the Dynojet accurate?
Its the software calibration. From what i have seen a Dynojet calibration is locked while you can access and change Mustang Dyno Calibration.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope...Dyno Jet=BS

Read the March issue of Hot Rod. They interview Mark Dobeck, the founder of Dyno Jet. He didn't like the "reality HP numbers the machine was giving him and his customers, so he added a fudge factor to the cakculation...thus, higher reading numbers and selling more jet kits for motorcycles. I almost fell out of my chair when I read it! You can not compare a Dyno Jet to a high end dyno like a Mustang, Dynomite or Super Flow. Its like comparing a calculator to a PC.

An inertia dyno (dyno jet) requires no calibration, there is no load cell. It is just a known mass with a polar moment of inertia that never changes to any great degree...its a dead weight.

My favorite...

www.dynomite.com
Old 03-26-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Heres my thought....

As long as you dyno at the same place each time, you will see the progression of your modifications.

Personally, Ive only dynoed on a dynojet. I like the software, and you can download their viewer off their website.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:18 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

When I got my car tested yesterday, it was on a Mustang Dyno. The printouts have a weight listed. How did it know? Only the backwheels were on the rollers. Was there a strain guage in the lift? Or is it something the operators enter in manually?

Also, it listed AFR at 7.3. Again, how was it measuring that? Is it accurate? Seems that it would be running *seriously* rich if that were the case, and leaning it out would save gas and probably make a lot more power as well.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

the weight is entered by the operator. It should not effct the HP/TQ...only the duration of the pull.

A number as low as 7.3 on the AFR typically means the unit was not powered up. On the 0-5v scale, 0 probably meant 7.3, the bottom of the scale.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:11 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Well, that's something of a relief to know, I can't imagine my car weighing 3875lbs (02 WS6 T/A, stock except for SLP SFCs and STB).

And it's also nice to know I'm not dumping that much raw fuel out the back too. Although, the idea of more economy and/or power was nice. Almost a shame it wasn't accurate in that respect. lol
Old 03-26-2006, 03:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Mustang dyno usually show 5-7% lower numbers than a dynojet which could annoy some people who are looking for higher numbers.
The people might as well just make up numbers if thats the case.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

The higher the entered weight the longer the pull will be resulting in higher numbers because you are not using as much TQ to accelerate. Just as with any good engine dyno you can vary the rpm/sec acceleration rate. A engine dyno set to 100 rpm per sec will show a higher number than a pull at 300 or 500 rpm per second.

As I have stated before on the Mustang you can use a constant acceleration rate and the HP/TQ numbers will not vary as much between dynos.

I like the Mustang over the Dynojet just because it is more versatile for what I need to do. Many people purchase the Dynojet because it is not as expensive and simple to operate, but your are very limited on testing capabilites. But both are good units and have there positives and negatives.

Originally Posted by waSStock
the weight is entered by the operator. It should not effct the HP/TQ...only the duration of the pull.

A number as low as 7.3 on the AFR typically means the unit was not powered up. On the 0-5v scale, 0 probably meant 7.3, the bottom of the scale.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DynoDR
The higher the entered weight the longer the pull will be resulting in higher numbers because you are not using as much TQ to accelerate. Just as with any good engine dyno you can vary the rpm/sec acceleration rate. A engine dyno set to 100 rpm per sec will show a higher number than a pull at 300 or 500 rpm per second.

As I have stated before on the Mustang you can use a constant acceleration rate and the HP/TQ numbers will not vary as much between dynos.

I like the Mustang over the Dynojet just because it is more versatile for what I need to do. Many people purchase the Dynojet because it is not as expensive and simple to operate, but your are very limited on testing capabilites. But both are good units and have there positives and negatives.

My bad, I thought Mustang was using inertial compensation for the rotating mass. I know Dynomite and Superflow do, maybe its on a later version of the Mustang software. Anyhow, enter in the number of cylinders, bore, stroke and the software derives the estimated polar moment of inertia of the rotating assembly. Problem solved. It eliminates the variance between the accel rates.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
The people might as well just make up numbers if thats the case.
+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2006, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waSStock
number as low as 7.3 on the AFR typically means the unit was not powered up. On the 0-5v scale, 0 probably meant 7.3, the bottom of the scale.
I think you're right. It's been a while since I did it, but I recall that was the value which had to be entered in the Mustang Dyno setup so that the Innovative WBO2 would work and display on the screen.
Old 03-27-2006, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

For #'s I would go with a dynojet, but for tuning a Mustang dyno is better hands down. My car was tuned on a mustang dyno. The wideband on the street is identical to what it was on a mustang dyno, while it is considerably different on a dynojet.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For tuning purposes a Mustang, for quick HP/TQ pulls an inertial only Dynojet. Maybe an eddy current load Dynojet is the best of both worlds, especially when the extra load causes them to read even higher. Anyone know how much higher they read?
Old 03-27-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I haven't used a dynojet with the eddy current, but it would be my choice for a machine (that or a twin roller mustang dyno with dynojet software if that was possible )

I use a twin roller mustang dyno, and it is a nice tool. I got to use a 224x dynojet, with proportional braking so you can simulate load, which might be an ideal setup for a shop who deals with lower powered cars, (not 800 hp ls1'x)

The dynojet software is HANDS DOWN a better setup than the mustang dyno.

You do have to be careful to make sure the mustang dyno is setup correctly. my car has put down anywhere from 181 to 433 rwhp when they are setup incorrect, or load cell is out of calibraiton.

Ryan
Old 03-27-2006, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ryan

Are you using the PowerDyne Software?

Originally Posted by slow
I haven't used a dynojet with the eddy current, but it would be my choice for a machine (that or a twin roller mustang dyno with dynojet software if that was possible )

I use a twin roller mustang dyno, and it is a nice tool. I got to use a 224x dynojet, with proportional braking so you can simulate load, which might be an ideal setup for a shop who deals with lower powered cars, (not 800 hp ls1'x)

You do have to be careful to make sure the mustang dyno is setup correctly. my car has put down anywhere from 181 to 433 rwhp when they are setup incorrect, or load cell is out of calibraiton.

Ryan
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wouldn't the Dynojet software become more complex also with measurable load control?
Old 03-27-2006, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow

Ryan
why is it better? simplicity?

Quick Reply: Dyno Jet or Mustang???