Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

U Joint straps and bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 12:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U Joint straps and bolts?

Got a 9" I am putting in tomorrow and thinking about everything on my checklist, I didnt list U Joint straps and bolts *pulling hair out* I have the conversion U Joint from Napa #447, but no fricken straps. I seen a local speed shop had billet girdle straps, but none for 9". **** **** ****.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

If you would have ordered the 9" through me I would have tossed them in for free.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:19 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ouch
Old 03-26-2006, 11:39 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
If you would have ordered the 9" through me I would have tossed them in for free.
Now thats pretty helpful. Damn Scott, and to think I was inquiring about ordering a new center section from you for track use. Not to mention all the pm's I answered when asked about your customer service etc... Guess you've forgotten all about that now huh?

So, I guess I will have to learn from this one, when you save $300 or so on a rearend you might have to suck it up and buy a $20 set of Moroso U Joint Girdles. Damn it.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your local autoparts store for them. I know here in Houston, O'Reilley's has the correct u-bolt "straps" and nuts for use with the 9". They are in their little "help section" with all the misc o-rings, nuts, and crap like that.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by xaon
Check your local autoparts store for them. I know here in Houston, O'Reilley's has the correct u-bolt "straps" and nuts for use with the 9". They are in their little "help section" with all the misc o-rings, nuts, and crap like that.

Xaon, didnt think about that, thanks for the reminder and help. I am hoping the Island Speed Shop, Ron's Performance, has some Moroso ones in stock. Hopefully it'll all be done today. One weekend left before our track closes.
Old 03-26-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Addict

No offense to Bob or any of the guys at EPP, but in a way i wish i would've gone with scott mainly cause i know the rearend would've been setup properly, everything would've been included and i would have a drain plug Guess ill just have to install one myself when i buy a new centersection hint hint scott
Old 03-26-2006, 06:46 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by ninobrn99
No offense to Bob or any of the guys at EPP, but in a way i wish i would've gone with scott mainly cause i know the rearend would've been setup properly, everything would've been included and i would have a drain plug Guess ill just have to install one myself when i buy a new centersection hint hint scott

LOL, I wasn't trying to sound like an *** but I try to include every single small part the other guys don't give you. I do installations here and I get angry with some of the maunfactures claims of being a true bolt in. I just finished up a S60 for Quasar and the 3 chanel ABS ring doesn't line up with the pre drilled ABS hole. Maybe I should have just ordered it without it and drilled it out myself after I had the axle set up and had a reference point to drill for the sensor.

Scott @ DLS
Old 03-27-2006, 12:04 AM
Restricted User

Well, I got a Moroso 9" U Joint Girdle Kit, but it doesnt fit the 1350 yoke side. I reused the stock straps, I know they arent the correct size, but they are holding and will be used until I get correct ones. How can I find a 1350 sized strap? Shops here are kind of like trying to find one in N Dakota or something.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

NAPA also carries them, don't remember the part # but I bought them when I got my conversion U joint
Old 03-27-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Scott@DrivelineSolutions
LOL, I wasn't trying to sound like an *** but I try to include every single small part the other guys don't give you. I do installations here and I get angry with some of the maunfactures claims of being a true bolt in. I just finished up a S60 for Quasar and the 3 chanel ABS ring doesn't line up with the pre drilled ABS hole. Maybe I should have just ordered it without it and drilled it out myself after I had the axle set up and had a reference point to drill for the sensor.

Scott @ DLS
Scott, if you didn't forget already that my S60 was setup properly from Strange, so it is NOT a case issue, I would consider that a 'build' issue that falls firmly in YOUR lap...

Obviously Strange knows how to build them properly, it is THIER design after all... You wanted to pocket some of the buildup cash yourself instead of having Strange do it, and now you blame THIER product???

Don't go blaming Strange when it is your buildup...

Sorry, but I just cannot stand it when people place blame on others when the problems are thiers... Just like that guy that got the S60 without the ABS, as I am pretty certain that the vendor ordered it wrong... Not saying that mistakes can't happen to anyone, just look at your buildup, but to immediately blame the original designer/supplier us a cheap shot to save face by 'middlemen' everywhere... I would figure, with this being a brand-new design and setup that Strange would be working overtime to make sure all orders are built 100% to order and QC'd with a critical eye to make sure they have a positive product launch...
Old 03-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Racer8102
NAPA also carries them, don't remember the part # but I bought them when I got my conversion U joint
I forgot all about it in the mad dash picking up all the last minute items, and dealing with a monsoon rainfall at the time. I just got word from a local driveline shop they can extend the LT1 Stock Steel DS for me, 1.5-1.75" and they have the correct U joints and straps. So, I'll probably put a new joint in the steel one, and leave the Napa one in the AL shaft for the next guy to limp around on, thats how we take care of eachother on Island.

Thanks for the input guys.

Quick Reply: U Joint straps and bolts?