Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What are some tips for long clutch life?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some tips for long clutch life?

What are some good tips for clutch longevity? I know not to coast with the clutch pushed in or "ride the clutch." What else should I do to ensure I am getting the most out of my clutch?
Old 03-28-2006, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dont slip it!!!!!!!!, drive it like a desiel truck, pat the gas once and let it all the way out you get used to it and its gets smoother and dont down shift everywhere. I got 42,000 out of a spec 3, and I did launch the hell out of it at the track 6000 rpm dumps
Old 03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like pontiac said don't down shift when coming to normal stops, brakes are easier and cheaper to replace. Also don't hold the clutch in at stop lights and such that will help the throw out bearing live.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Pontiac give it a quick rev and let the clutch all the way out ... I have my clutch completly engaged in less than a car lenghth or before the tires cross into the crosswalk at a normal intersection....I have over 40,000 on my Spec 3 However I downshift everytime I come to a stop match the revs almost like a heel toe down shift and I hold the clutch in at most lights and heavy traffic....And 90% percent of the time I drive my car like I'm mad at it....

Quick Reply: What are some tips for long clutch life?