Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

BEST STUFF for a white car..

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BEST STUFF for a white car..

Alright, I got some money to spend, but not much. Im looking for something I can get localy pretty cheap. I have NOTHING. My dad has a buffer but I hear that doing it by hand is the best way. So what kind of pads should I be looking for in a local store... say autozone. I have searched a bit, and read for about a hour... I am also planning on doing my engine bay soon as well, including the !wire mod, thats a great thread in the hall of fame.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Addict

There's a plethora of options and approaches. These are my recommendations for locally available products.

Eurow sheepskin mitt - Wal-Mart
Viking towels and brushes
Meguiar's NXT soap - Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, etc.
Claybar - Clay Magic, Mother's, Meguiar's, etc. - Auto Zone
Wax/Sealant - Mother Reflections - Auto Zone
Tire Dressing - Meguiar's Natural Shine, Mother's Reflections, etc. - Auto Zone

Assuming you have swirls, etc. you should be able to find some 3M polishes locally.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I actually don't have swirls that I can see, Im going to have to inspect the car again soon, whats the best light to look for them? Would doing this on a day that its going to rain the next day be a complete and total waste? It seems as if I wash my car, then the next day its lost that clean look and just looks like any other car.

So how should I go about washing the car? I can't do it at my house, but I can go to the local self car wash and just use the wand to fill up buckets.. So I fill up a bucket fill of water, ad soap, mix, then work it all over the car with the mit? How should I go about cleaning up bird **** and such? after that, then I clay ( is this a must? seems like a LOT of work... ) then shouldn't I use a polish instead of going straight to a wax? What about glazing?

Thanks for your help, as soon as I get some free cash I'll order some of your stuff man!
Old 03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Mothers wet wax? I just heard from a fellow white LT1 trans am guy, and another guy that Mothers Wet Wax is awsome stuff, anyone use it?
Old 03-28-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
I actually don't have swirls that I can see, Im going to have to inspect the car again soon, whats the best light to look for them?

I can't do it at my house, but I can go to the local self car wash and just use the wand to fill up buckets.. So I fill up a bucket fill of water, ad soap, mix, then work it all over the car with the mit? How should I go about cleaning up bird **** and such? after that, then I clay ( is this a must? seems like a LOT of work... ) then shouldn't I use a polish instead of going straight to a wax? What about glazing?
I use a variety of lighting sources to check for defects - sunlight, flourescent, halogen, etc.

Washing, Drying and Waxing Tips

- Never use circular motions. Always wash, dry, and wax using front to back and top to bottom motions.

- Don't use the same mitt or bucket for wheels that you use on your paint. The brake dust, etc. from your wheels will cause scratches and swirls in your paint.

- Use two buckets for washing paint. One with a soapy mixture, the other with plain water to rinse the mitt between panels.

Claying will make a great difference in your finish.

You could use a glaze like Meguiar's #7 if you plan to use a carnauba wax like Meguiar's #26. That combination would look quite nice, but won't last too long. The Mother's stuff should last longer.

I've never heard of such a product as Mother's Wet Wax.
Old 03-28-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Meguire's cleaner wax works great on white cars. I use it on my SS. It's very easy to apply and wipe off. Works great for really stuck-on bug guts...LOL

Quick Reply: BEST STUFF for a white car..