Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slow Starter

Contrary to what the title implies, it is not the starter that is slow. Plenty of speed in turning over the motor but when it does fire, it slowly comes up to a 900 rpm idle from 500 rpm. Any suggestions on whats goin on? When I start it for the first time in the morn. it fires right up with an aggressive idle. The slow start only happens after it is warm. The car is bone stock, no tune.
Old 03-27-2006, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Default starter or slow computer

Whatever it is I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's likely just your pooter adjusting to the difference in temperature from the heated air in your intake system versus the most likely cooler outside air that would be soon to follow. But then I'm not a mechanic or even very smart. It just sounds right to me.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

clogged up cats? restriction in breathing? pull plugs too see if there is any oil contamination...

see if the maf is dirty...
Old 03-28-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am thiinkiin the cats might be the culprit. The SES light is on and I went to Autozone and their scanner showed something about the passenger side cat. Also, what are the 02 sensors and I often hear about those going out.
Old 03-28-2006, 07:16 AM
12 Second Club

alright. go back to autozone. find out what the code is exactly bc some people at autozone think that a o2 code is a cat code...which is not correct. if your cats are bad...and you are the orginal owner you can get new cats under federal emmision law. anywayz. you can "gut" out your cat but then you'd have to buy o2 sims (79 for two from speedinc.) and your car wont pass emission test but thats not a concern at all where i live.