Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Set-Up Done Right for 408...Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous Set-Up Done Right for 408...Suggestions?

Hey guys...

I've got a 408 from FFHP that will be arriving within the next two weeks and I'm looking to spray it down the road. The components in the 408 are as follows:

408CI Iron Block
Eagle 4.00" Crankshaft
Eagle 6.125 Compstar rods
Diamond 4.060 Bore 8cc Valve Relief Pistons
TSP Giant Cam
ARP Main Studs, Rod Bolts, Head Studs
Federal Mogul Main and Rod Bearings
Dura Bond Cam bearings
All Plugs and Dowels
PRC Stage III Heads 64 cc Chambers (Flow #'s in the 330+ range at .600)
Rollmaster Double Roller Timing Chain
Morel Lifters
FAST 90mm Intake Ported And Port Matched To Heads
Nick Williams 90mm Throttle Body
AMW Oil Catch Can
MTI Clear 75mm Lid

Fuel:
Walbro 255 In Tank Fuel Pump
42 Pount Delfi Injectors
Stock Fuel Rail

Exhaust:

Kooks 1 7/8 Stainless Steel Jet Hot Coated Headers

Kooks Off Road Stainless Jet Hot Coated Y-Pipe

GMMG Chambered Exhaust

This motor will have 11:1 compression. I plan to spray it down the road with something in the range of a 200 to 250 shot. I don't mind spending the money to do it right but at the same time, I'm not going to waste any money on the **** that I don't need. I've already got 4 10lb NX bottles that have been painted gloss black to match the car...they look sick...anyway, what all would the nitrous guroos suggest for a reliable set-up so I don't pop this expensive bastard? LoL

I have Brian from PCM4Less flying down and tuning it through the RPM band on a friend's Dynapack to make sure everything is dead on.

I've had a NX Single Nozzle Wet Kit before but never got this serious!

Since I'm not going with a big shot, I don't think a DP would be necessary but at the same time, I'm basically maxed out at the levels of a plate system or a single/dual nozzle set-up…in the sense that I don’t want that much spray deciding which cyl to pick and choose because we all know about the dreaded #7.

Maybe I should go with a hidden system from Dave and have him plumb it in the intake. Maybe I'll just say **** it and get one of his crazy direct port systems...I would need a dedicated fuel system too...I think.

Anyway, enough of my babbling. Let me know what you guys think and suggest please.

Thanks as usual,

D
Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 200 to 250 shot you could actually do one of our plate systems. However I like to suggest a directport for going over the 250. So you are on the borderline of either set up working for your needs. The good thing about going directport is that you are done after that. No need to worry about upgradeing in the future if you decide to spray more. The down fall is that it cost more and requires more time tunning.
Dave
Old 03-29-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea you will def need bigger injectors if spraying on that engine, especially if it is a 200-250 shot. Sounds like your building a monster though and good luck!
Old 03-29-2006, 12:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Yea you will def need bigger injectors if spraying on that engine, especially if it is a 200-250 shot. Sounds like your building a monster though and good luck!
Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't need bigger injectors to support my wet shot. I should have in the neighborhood of 500 to 550 to the wheels N/A with this set-up and 42's should be fine for that.

Dave, would you suggest a dedicated fuel system or would you just run straight 104 octane while spraying in the car's regular gas tank? I don't plan to spray more than a 200-250 shot because I called Diamond pistons and they are "Iffy" on anything over 250 even though I've see them handle a 350 shot before.

How about that hidden system that you have? Is that adjustable up to/past 200/250? How much of a bitch would it be to change the jets if I wanted to up the shot?

Would you guys suggest the NX Controller for this set-up with an adjustable ramp so I can maintain traction or do you think I'll actually hook with a 10.5 slick? I'll be running 3:90 gears in a Dana 60. I'll also be running 305 nittos on the street too so I dunno.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02BlackBullet
Thanks for the kind words. I wouldn't need bigger injectors to support my wet shot. I should have in the neighborhood of 500 to 550 to the wheels N/A with this set-up and 42's should be fine for that.

Dave, would you suggest a dedicated fuel system or would you just run straight 104 octane while spraying in the car's regular gas tank? I don't plan to spray more than a 200-250 shot because I called Diamond pistons and they are "Iffy" on anything over 250 even though I've see them handle a 350 shot before.

How about that hidden system that you have? Is that adjustable up to/past 200/250? How much of a bitch would it be to change the jets if I wanted to up the shot?

Would you guys suggest the NX Controller for this set-up with an adjustable ramp so I can maintain traction or do you think I'll actually hook with a 10.5 slick? I'll be running 3:90 gears in a Dana 60. I'll also be running 305 nittos on the street too so I dunno.
Dave said in the other thread the Money Maker was good to a 300 shot.

Nice setup.
Old 03-30-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

Talk to 383LQ4SS...I know he was spraying a combined 400hp on off the shelf pistons in a 408 but just brought in the second stage progressively to control the hit and the motor did fine.

I am going to be running a secondary fuel system just because filling up the big tank is expensive. That way you could run vp-16 or something in the small tank and toot around on 93. If want to get nuts run a dual stage DP. Only minimal cost over the single stage. Maybe 200/100 or so would be the max I'd do on your setup because of the off the shelf pistons.

BTW, were the rings gapped for nitrous use?

Nate
Old 03-30-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using the good old NX MAF on my 408. Since you are using a 90 mm call Nitro Dave and talk plates. My basic observation is that a 150 shot on a bolt on LS1 is a great value...a 150 shot on a 408 is a great start. I just ordered jets for a 200 and 225 shot from Dave. DP is coming (maybe) next summer. For now the NX wet is doing fine.
BTW - I just ordered a catch can...thanks for reminding me!!

Last edited by Macon; 03-30-2006 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the replies guys.

I told FFHP to gap the rings for spray. I'm not sure about the gap. I'll hav eto call them and find out. They have been asked to do so though.

I got the hellfire rings as well.

I was thinking that it would be a bitch to change the jets in the money maker. Maybe it's because of my ignorance. ....then again changing 16 jets in an externally plumbed DP would be a pain in the *** too but it would look so damn sweet.

So is the general trend here telling me to get a dedicated fuel system with a bit of the good go gas for spraying and just run regular 93 in the body tank?

I'm just scared that I'm going to blow some **** up running 11:1 and spraying a 200-250 shot. I want to cover my *** ya know?
Old 03-31-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Secondary fuel system is great insurance. As my buddy says...fuel is cheaper than pistons.

Nate
Old 03-31-2006, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

We carry an awesome 90mm Plate! Single or DUAL stage up to 500HP!

90MM Plate Kit
Check it out here!
Old 03-31-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Either way I do it, it will be a one off custom kit. I want black anodized AN fittings for Nitrous, Chrome AN fittings for Fuel, Black anodized plate, black bottle and a few other things that I haven't thought up yet.