Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Possible job doing sheetmetal....need help picking tools

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible job doing sheetmetal....need help picking tools

OK, I have another interview this week for a position doing sheet metal for a helicopter shop. I have pretty much any tool I could need as an A&P except for sheet metal tools because honestly, I didn't think I would be doing sheet metal. Anyway, I'm looking at the following tools:

Rivit squeezer/dimpler, rivit gun set, rivit fan spacer, nibbler, countersink, air grinder, hole punch set (used one of those last week, and they are a life saver!), and air drill/90 degree drill.

The specifics I picked are:

1) MATCO RIVIT SQUEEZER TP888-4

and

2)MATCO RIVIT GUN KIT TP176

Any comments on these? Anything better?

Now on the drills, I helped at a shop for a bit last week. I realised that my 18v Dewalt drill isn't the best choice. The batteries die out and it's heavy. It was also too big, and I had to borrow someone's 90 degree Dewalt which was also too big for the space but worked. I'm thinking about buying a 90 degree air drill. Would it work ok as a normal drill or would the ergonomics be too bad for use as a normal drill? If so, I could get both a 90 degree and standard air drills, but thought I might get by with just one since I have the Dewalt. What's a good brand for air tools without breaking the bank? Ingersol-Rand any good? I'd like to stay under $1200 for all tools and taxes, so no $300+ drills. I don't mind spending more if the quality is better and makes life easier, but I don't want to throw money away either. Thanks for any comments.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rivit squeezer and gun are good starter tools, the bucking bars, are ok, but you may need to fab some custom ones, depending on what airframe you're working on, and its peculiarities (I've got alot of custom hand made tools, that only work for one fastener on one engine )
The drill, the air drills will work fine for a normal drill, I'd get the 90 (again depending on what airframe you're on) the IR is a good one to go with (mine hasn't let me down yet)
Good luck on the interview
Old 03-30-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Check out Aircraft Spruce they should have tools that are specially made for avaition the hand punch I use is a Roper Whitney.... That kit looks like it would have a lot of stuff to get you up and runnin clecos are a big help....
Old 03-31-2006, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, clecos.....I've got tons of those, lol. I will check out Aircraft Spruce. I have ordered from them before, but I forgot about them.

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it. I'm pretty sure I will get the job as they are hiring 100+ people soon and have had the sheet metal position open for a while now.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, what kind of drill bits do you guys like? Any particular brand you choose? Right now, I have one of those cheap $60 sets from Northern Tools.....might as well fork more cash out while I'm still in the buying mode...
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

I use the Bowman quad cuts maily because we have a whole cabnet of them at work but I'll use a UNI bit anytime I can.... guess im just lazy

Quick Reply: Possible job doing sheetmetal....need help picking tools