LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

WTF?! smoke coming from the back of the motor.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WTF?! smoke coming from the back of the motor.

okay so i get off work today. start the car and it starts idleing rough as soon as i start it up. i get a few backfires and it clears up somewhat. drive home no problem. go get some gas car is fine and head off to the track for T&T night. on the way there the car starts acting like a bitch again. i sit in the lane and check it out to see wft is going on but see no problems. i start it up and its fine again. i get up to the line to run. take off and it sorta bogged down a little bit and then took off like normal after that. i get finished with the run and go park the car and i notice some smoke from under the car coming from the cat converter and from under the hood from back by the egr valve and tube. so i decide to take her home. on the highway it was fine. all the way home for the most part it was fine. i get home and pop the hood again to see what the hell is going on. first time i start it up it runs just fine again. i cut it off and start it back up after a few minutes and i heard 2-3 pops from the exhaust and i see the smoke again at the back of the motor.\

so im leaning towards it being the egr tube,egr or the cat is clogged or maybe a bad 02 sensor?. but im not sure. car is all stock with all the emissions crap etc.(opti was changed out about 5 months back along with the water pump)

PLEASE help me shine some light on this!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2006, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

oh btw no ses lights either.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:32 PM
Launching!

usually if the O2 sensor or egr valve is bad, a light will SES light comes on, at least in my case.

its possible that the car is running too rich and causing the smoke and possibly the rough idleing.

my advice is to check spark plugs/gaps, run highest octane gas, and maybe get a air/fuel check.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

might be a leak, air getting sucked in beofe the o2 will cause the car to run rich and stumble, i.e. the popping.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

i always run 92 or 93 octane. the smoke is like a grayish color(kind of hard to tell since its windy out and i live in a apartment complex so no garage )

the car isnt over heating or anything either.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Hambone 7
might be a leak, air getting sucked in beofe the o2 will cause the car to run rich and stumble, i.e. the popping.
ive been thinking about that also. ill check tommorow when its daylight out.

but why would the car start smoking. it ran just fine this morning when i went to work.

Quick Reply: WTF?! smoke coming from the back of the motor.