Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ordered a Porter Cable today

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 10:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered a Porter Cable today

I've read alot of good things about the PC here I sure hope this thing is worth
the $. I got the Polisher & pad kit and Poorboys SR1 and SSR 2.5. from Autogeek:
http://www.autogeek.net/hk7424.html
I hope that was a decent deal, otherwise I would prefer not to know. -lol

I've got some stubborn swirl marks and light scratches on my hood and a few on the front and rear fenders as well that have been driving me nuts. I washed with dawn, clayed the car, and polsihed it using Zaino (Z1 and Z5) over the weekend but it didn't help. I also tried some 3M swirl mark remover for dark colored cars, my car is Navy Blue Met.
So should I wash the car with dawn and clay again before I start with the Porter Cable & Poorboy's ? Should I do the entire car with the Poorboys or just the affected areas? After I am done, assuming everything turns out well, I assume it is ok to then use the Zaino (Z1, Z5 and/or Z2) ?
Old 03-31-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Wash it with car wash solution then claybar it instead of using Dawn. It will take all the old wax and crap buried in your paint/clearcoat off, which is the purpose of using Dawn in the first place, but doesn't dry out your paint like Dawn can.

If it's your first major polish, do the whole car with the SSR2.5, then follow with the SSR1. Once you've got a good basis, you should be able to do maintenance with the SSR1 and use the SSR2.5 only on problem areas.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2006, 07:45 AM
12 Second Club

Got my PC kit yesterday, looks nice. I plan to use the orange pad with the SSR2.5 first like you say, then follow with the SR1 with a white pad. from there I am a little confused.
Should I then apply a glaze before a sealant or wax
or do I go straight to a sealant or wax from the SR1?
The litterature I was reading on the SSR2.5 says you can go straight to a wax or sealant from that product but didn't mention you can do that from the SR1.
Old 04-07-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

You got a good deal.

If you use Dawn, try to use the unscented kind if you can.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
Got my PC kit yesterday, looks nice. I plan to use the orange pad with the SSR2.5 first like you say, then follow with the SR1 with a white pad. from there I am a little confused.
The litterature I was reading on the SSR2.5 says you can go straight to a wax or sealant from that product but didn't mention you can do that from the SR1.

You're using the exact same products that I am so here is some advice. Get the poorboys professional polish. It's there form of glaze. Use that last after you do the car with the SR1. I say this because my car looks good from a few feet away but you can see a bit of haze close up in the sun or under fleurescent lights. I'm going to redo my car soon with the SR1 and glaze to get rid of the haze.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SLPSS01
Typically, I do it in this order:
  1. Wash
  2. Clay
  3. Wash
  4. Dry
  5. Intensive polish (for you, this is SSR2.5 and orange pad)
  6. Finishing polish (for you, SSR1 and white pad)
  7. Glaze
  8. Wax/sealant
I've not used Poorboys, but if it's like the Menzerna products I'm familiar with, the lower cut polishes will tend to have more fillers in them, which helps bring out surface gloss. Maybe someone who knows Poorboys products would be kind enough to chime in on this.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2006, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dal1as
You're using the exact same products that I am so here is some advice. Get the poorboys professional polish. It's there form of glaze. Use that last after you do the car with the SR1. I say this because my car looks good from a few feet away but you can see a bit of haze close up in the sun or under fleurescent lights. I'm going to redo my car soon with the SR1 and glaze to get rid of the haze.
Well, there ya go. As I figured, if SR1 acts like a glaze, that's probably due to fillers. This isn't a bad thing. It's a VERY good thing.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2006, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

thank you very much gentlemen !