Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Pressure Washer

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pressure Washer

Anyone have any recommendations for one?
Looking to clean the deck and paint it, also not a bad idea for cleaning stubborn wheels and the rest of the house.

How is the Craftsman stuff? It seems most companies use Briggs and Stratton motors, so does it really matter?

Any help or recommendations would be appreciated
Old 04-02-2006, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use this one but the older model http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...240&lpage=none. Its works great for everything I've used it for. I've had it for about 4 years and its never let me down.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that the craftsman one is actually a troy built, just painted a different color.

I got one for christmas (craftsman) and although I haven't gotten _that much_ use out of it yet, it's done everything I've asked it to very well. It's powerful enough that you actually have to be careful with it, it will rough up concrete and wood surfaces and strip a lot of paint if you're not careful. What it does to the wheels and tires it just incredible (but it warns not to use the high pressure nossles on the tires, not really sure why) and it took probably about a total of 2 minutes to blast away all the moss/alge growing on my front walk, steps porch and siding around it (house faces north).

I haven't tried it on any of the cars yet, somewhat nervous about blasting paint off.

The brigs motor appears to be MUCH nicer then the briggs on my lawn mower that has given me some trouble. This thing starts up first pull if you follow directions.

About the only real gripe that have about it is that I can't seem to get the hoses/gun to store neatly, seems like every time I come back to it the hose or the gun has flipped off of the holder...
Old 04-02-2006, 10:30 AM
12 Second Club

I've been wanting one for years now but I just can't seem to justify the cost to the wife. I always have to borrow my firends Craftsman, which works well considering its a Craftsman. I've had nothing but trouble out of the other Craftsman power tools esp their lawnmowers.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Staging Lane

Karcher! In my opinion it's the only one that is worth the money.
Old 04-05-2006, 12:32 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a Honda power'ed pressure washer that I got at Sams. It's the same Honda motor that's on my Dad's Honda pressure washer, but I paid $100 less. It's great, works really well. I cleaned off my composit deck with it this spring and it was perfect.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

The Craftsman pressure washer I have has the Honda engine on it. If you plan to clean decks/driveways, etc. make sure to get at least a 2700psi model, also helps to get the model that can siphon detergents directly from the bottles that are held in the rack on the handle.

Just don't be cleaning off your car or siding at close quarters with the 2700psi
Old 04-07-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
Just don't be cleaning off your car or siding at close quarters with the 2700psi
I know.....3000psi or nothing at all
Old 04-08-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So do any of you use a pressure washer to wash your cars? What nozzle?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:09 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not use a pressure washer to wash a car. The pressure is way to high and will damage the paint very quickly if you're not careful.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:23 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Silverback
So do any of you use a pressure washer to wash your cars? What nozzle?
I have a Karcher. It has a high pressure nozzel for the tough stuff, and a lower pressure nozzel for washing cars, siding windows etc. I also have a water/sandblast nozzel for it.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an adjustable nozzle on mine. I can go from a concrete eating paint stripping to a fine wide fan spray.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I used an electric 1300 p.s.i. that my parents have and it worked well.i cleaned their decks on the house and found that even a small p.s.i. washer would start to make the wood splinter.Plus the gas to me gets annoying quick...
Old 04-11-2006, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

if you really want to clean stuff, excpect to spend 400 bucks. I bought three and returned them all. briggs and stratton $250 couldn't clean crap, a devilbliss speed clean $320 that was OK but couldn't get the tough stuff out of the driveway and the gun was crap, and one that was $300 and can't remember what it was because the pump didn't work right from the start.

I went to home depot and paid $360 for their honda powered 2.5 gpm 2700 psi pressure washer that used a REAL wand with detatchable nozzles. use the two lowest nozzles on a car (don't get too close with the 2nd nozzle) and i use the higher pressure nozzles to remove oil rust and grime off concrete.

WHAT I LEARNED:

1. psi doesn't matter. you need to look at GPM too. the one i had before only did about 1.8 gpm and it took forever to clean stuff because it didn't flow as much volume of water to get stuff out.

2. make sure your hose can fill a milk jug gallon in 12 seconds; it needs to be able to supply at least 5gpm for a 2.5 gpm pump.

3. buy gas. electric ones can generate high psi, but will move less or around 1 gpm. it'll take forever to clean something.

4. turbo or adjustable type wands are lame. get real nozzles. the adjustable ones can lose their adjustment and/or just act lame, and just cost more money. Also, length is important. It takes me about 20 minutes per section of my driveway times 12 sections, so having the correct length wand is good too. i'm 5'8" and needed a longer wand so that i would neither bend foward or backward; the slightest in either direction lands me with a sore back.

5. use sta-bil fuel treatment, as with any gas-powered equipment at home. not using it ruined my neighbor's pressure washer at his place over the cooler months.

Quick Reply: Pressure Washer