New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-performance mods that someone should do to their stock LS1? Trans cooler, SFC etc

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-performance mods that someone should do to their stock LS1? Trans cooler, SFC etc

It looks like I'll be getting an LS1 TA next week and as of now it's totally stock with under 50k miles. I was wondering what kind of "mods" would be nice to do just to prolong the life of the car and its parts, not necessarily speed/performance mods but just "good idea" mods to do while the car is still relatively low miles.

Things like a transmission cooler. Should I get one even though the car is stock? I won't be tearing the crap out of the car but I will take it to the track once in a while.

Subframe connectors -- I've heard these are a very good idea to do and that it's a good idea to get them done sooner rather than later.

Are there any other things such as these that are just some good preventative maintenance mods? Sorry if it's been asked already, I couldn't find any threads like this though.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:18 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's some interesting reading on SFC's: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=SFC
Old 04-02-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Regular

Even tough SFC's have their critics, I love mine.

I can't comment on how SFC help in carving corners, since I put them on relatively soon and didn't have much to compare their performance against. I also don't know if they reduced any squeaks, since my car didn't have any to begin with

However as soon as I put them on the ol' butt-o-meter felt a real difference. In just daily driving I the car feels much stiffer and more rigid. I can feel the road much better. I love mine!

Plus, I forget the magazine, I think it was like Chevy High Performance. They suggested SFC's as one of your first mods. Claiming that F-Bodies are far from the most rigid chassis.

Just my $.02
Alex
Old 04-02-2006, 08:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the f-body chassis is for the most part still the same damn design they used on the thirdgen, sure the materials improved with the transition to the fourth gen, but you're working with a chassis design that didn't account for increases in power and torque in the third gens, let alone the fourth gens.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

SFC and a 24K trans cooler are a must even for a stock car.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:45 PM
Banned

i'de get the SFC's unless u want a twisted frame...
Old 04-02-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sfc also help with those damn quarter panel dents from launching
Old 04-02-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not a SFC fan myself.
I've yet to see any #s prove them being more then a few extra lbs or a jack point.

tranny cooler never hurts. A nice tune up doesn't hurt if needed. Even though its a bit of an upgrade a lid is always nice less under hood clutter cool looking and extra air in is always nice
Old 04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Syn
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
I'm not a SFC fan myself.
I've yet to see any #s prove them being more then a few extra lbs or a jack point.

tranny cooler never hurts. A nice tune up doesn't hurt if needed. Even though its a bit of an upgrade a lid is always nice less under hood clutter cool looking and extra air in is always nice
A lid is probably the first thing I'll buy for it

I just wondered if there was anything I should consider getting now while the car is relatively young, such as a trans. cooler which I will probably end up getting just for cheap insurance.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im guessing you have an auto. The stock cooler should be sufficant unless your auto-x ing the car alot, but an extra cooler still isnt a bad idea. Here would be my list: SFC's, Panhard (go adj. if you plan on lowering later), LCA's, Relocation Brackets (even though your not lowered yet, they still help), tranny cooler and then see where your at and how you like it.
Old 04-03-2006, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

I would recommend:

* Trans Cooler (makes a nice difference in heavy traffic)
* SFC (as already stated)
* Strut tower brace (simply better handling)
* Air Lid (any after market - inexpensive hp improvement)
* After market rotors (I chose iRotors - to avoid warping of the crappy stock rotors)

Jack
Old 04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a strut tower brace and can't tell a bit of difference now that I've sold it to someone else. IMO it's just extra weight on the front end.

Quick Reply: Non-performance mods that someone should do to their stock LS1? Trans cooler, SFC etc