New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where is everyone getting these rediculous deals?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where is everyone getting these rediculous deals?

I was looking through the thread on what people paid for their cars, and have sen people talking about how they got these smokin deals. Either some are exagerating, or im not looking in the right places? Ive been eyeballing this site camaroz28.com a local board im on, and autotrader and cars.com and im just not finding these great deals people are talking about. I looked on ebay and didnt see really anything that seemed like a good deal with a buy it now, and the ones being bid on seemed to be even more overpriced. Ive got 10,500 and im looking for a t-top prefferably 99+ car with leather and a 6 speed. blue black or white chrome wheels would be nice but not necesary, and under 70K miles, the less miles t he better though of course. Im i looking for too much?? Everyone i talk to thats asking like 11-12 or so is apparently not looking to haggle no matter how much i try. I talk to a dealer and their price is way over the internet price, i tell em what its advertised at on the net and suddenly no that cant be right, we cant go that low. They supposedly go check and come back and say they can do it but i try and get it any lower and they wanna walk away, and really dont come back or call back! Am i doing something wrong or wtf? Wheres all these magical deals at? Heck im open to a car from any part of the country ill travel!
Old 04-02-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you just gotta keep looking. they will pop up, there was a 40k mile 02 SS for sale here in indiana not long ago for 12k hell of a deal. also it depends on location ALOT. check out www.autorv.com alot, it's a midwest car sales book, but if you're willing to travel something good might pop up in it like i said before good luck.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea man, you just got keep on looking, and some insanely good deals will pop up out of no where. Act fast on them, cause somebody else will be lookin for a great deal as well. Autotrader has been doing me well.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Resident

Found a t/a in the color i want not too far away, 6 speed t-tops fully loaded other then the WS6 package supposedly, only problem is it has 90K miles and its going for 10,000 bux from a private party. Its not in a big city area looks like a suburb maybe, kinda a rural area so im thinking that 90K isnt toooo bad. I wanted lower miles just cause i didnt want the car to feel ratty and used (creaks rattles etc), ill be swapping motors and going to a th400 and a 9" or S60 rearend so maybe i should just deal with the higher miles?? I just want a 6 speed car to have some fun till i can afford what i really want to do TURBO!

Is 10Gs rediculous for a 90K mile t/a? Looks clean loaded 6 speed in a somewhat rare color chrome 17" wheels etc. Im thinking im gonna try and haggle em down to like 9Gs. Ill have cash in hand that tends to make people accept deals they normally wouldnt lol.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

what year?

ps...most of these cars feel "ratty"...specially t tops cars..they creek and lot and such. Also, what do you mean swap motors? rebuild the stock one? or go with a different motor?
Old 04-02-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Theres actually 2 in the same price range and mileage, one has a buncha mods the other doesnt. Not sure if id keep the stock block or not, i know the 98s cant get more then a .005 hone so that probably would end up requiring a new block. Im more worried about the hard 90K+ miles on the car with a buncha mods, then a 90K all stock in rural america car though. The 98 being that its been romped on and the block doesnt take more then a slight hone and the other things about 98s that make me iffy about 98s are gonna be enough to keep me away from it i think.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS

Is 10Gs rediculous for a 90K mile t/a? Looks clean loaded 6 speed in a somewhat rare color chrome 17" wheels etc. Im thinking im gonna try and haggle em down to like 9Gs. Ill have cash in hand that tends to make people accept deals they normally wouldnt lol.
NO thats actually cheap here.90k isn't bad mileage as long as it was serviced regularly.i'd look it over close,trans fluid,rear fluid,power steering fluid and leaks.oil pressure etc.these cars shouldn't need much @ 100k if they were taken care of.if they were beat on they could need HEAPS of work.i think a good idea for anyone buying one of these cars is to take it to a good dealer. get a opinion even if it costs you 100 dollars its better than getting screwed with a lucas doctored engine,trans or rear.and be sure to look at two things if you suspect abuse.the rear fender wells for rubber,broken trans mount.also look at the throttle body to see if the full throttle stop is worn from constant drag racing.the throttle body can't hide what the foot gives!you will see a definate wear spot from the steel arm whacking the aluminum stop.another very sore spot on these cars is the rears,carrier bearings,axles,axle bearings.be prepared for that.

i know this next thing i suggest is going to sound nuts,i would offer to change the engine oil,trans and rear oil for free if i was really interested in the car.its the best way to see what you are getting.you don't want to change the oil a few weeks after buying it to find something that doesn't look good.cost less than 100 dollars and its cheap peace of mind.one more thing is the fuel system,they are know for rusted fuel lines and fuel rails,might be something to check carefully buy removing the fuel rail connection and taking a quick peek in there.i've seen some extremely nasty ones that were so bad it was lucky the engine still ran.

Last edited by YoMommasTA; 04-02-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

I like that throttle stop idea, never thought of that. I will probably have the oil changed as i got stuck with a motor honey'd car once that blew up 5 minutes after buying it! Lotts good idea there man, thanx alot! Just trying to make usre my bases are covered.
Old 04-02-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

Well the bastard sold it yesterday... it wasnt listed till late yesterday? WTF. ******* autotrader pulls it up when searching one way but not another? BS!
Old 04-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Look on craigslist.com alot of great deals on that site. I remember seeing a 2001 Camaro Z28 with 70,000 milesfor $9950 on there.

http://www.craigslist.org/pen/car/147197344.html
Old 04-02-2006, 04:25 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It is my experience that the great deals are snatched up in hours, not days. You have to know what you want, and pounce on a deal if a good one comes along. An example is a ~4k mile Hawk that sold off of Firehawk.org last year just before I began my search. Being the great deal it was, it sold within two hours of listing. There is some luck involved. It helps to have good contacts; and you have got to stay on top of the ads. It helps to understand the update procedure/schedule for the different online ads, so you know when new listings are going to be added. Patience is important, obviously. How long have you been looking?
Old 04-02-2006, 05:04 PM
12 Second Club

Got mine from a small dealer that was going out of business. While we were looking at it we were putting the car down in any way we could. just to make the guy feel like we didn't want it. then made him a low *** offer and forced him to decide in a hurry. got my car: 2001 Z28 w/28K for $12,500 about $400 under the blue-book trade in value.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my heavily modded 2000 TA for only $7500 as a dealer trade-in. Mint condition, <30K miles, heads/cam/boltons etc. We just recently had a very low miles 30th anniv. Z28 come through for only $5000.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

I'll be looking to sell my Z for 10k w/about 81k on the clock so I dont think thats a bad deal at all.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Ya I got my car from auto trader it was only up maybe 2 days and I hoped right on it. I gave him my bottom doller so that was like 8 grand I told him 8,500 pluse tax and im sold they wanted 8,580 dollers. Nope we started to leave then the head guy says it's yours take it. Thats how I got my car it's a 98 z28 63,000 miles so far it's everything I wanted and more you just gotta wait for the right car for you.
Old 04-02-2006, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got my 98 z28 locally for $9k almost a year ago. 75k miles, clean interior, very good paint. Needed cat-back, tires, and new front brake pads. Runs like a top. Couldn't be happier. Gotta be patient, and also be ready to spring when a deal plops down in front of you.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:00 PM
Teching In

I found my 2000 Z on accident actually when I went to look at a 30th ann SS for my cousin, the guy I bought it from owned his own business and sold sports cars on the side kind of as a hobby, to say the least I saw my car sitting in his garage and was awstruck, and knew thats what i wanted (he also had a 20k mile 84 ferrari, a 98 t/a, 97 ss, 96 vette and my car at the time) I asked him what the bottom dollar was on my car and he said 10.5. I said ah cant afford that right now. I ended up calling him back a month later to see if he still had it, sure enough and he said he would take 9500. Thats last june, with 70k miles on it, 6 speed,ttop, everything but leather optioned car. You have to be 2 things to find the right deal....patient and lucky!
Old 04-02-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Buy your car from a crack head great deals
Old 04-02-2006, 07:49 PM
TECH Addict

It's a question of being in the right place at the the right time, also being able to take advantage of someones financial misfortune
Case in point, a guy at work sold an 05 F250 PS 4x4 quad cab, loaded to the hilt, with 3k worth of aftermarket rims/tires for pretty cheap, because he wasn't getting all the OT he was used to, and couldn't make the payments
Patience and luck are all you need
Old 04-03-2006, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

yea im looking for a 02 ss but only thing i can find are 25,000+ so yea...