Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Digit run was a no-go :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2006, 01:53 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Digit run was a no-go :(

Well, our track was closing tonight so I scrambled to get ready for the last night of racing. The 9" rearend had its break in and it was time to go for it. 2 x 10lb bottles filled, and 2gals of 103 race gas added to the last 2 gals of 92 pump. Mounted the tires as we waited for the gates to open, signed in and waited in stage lanes as they prepped the track.
First run, no jets for either stage (DRY), and both armed for one large shot out of the hole. Lights dropped and left hard, but without any purging of the line there was just enough delay to keep from spinning too badly. Bastard pulled hard thru 1st, nailed 2d around 6100rpms, and she was pulling....then it fell on its face, just bogged in a bad way. I pedaled it real quick, and she picked back up, hit 3rd and she laid down again. In the lanes for the next go I looked over the log, and seen the airflow. Damn it, I left the airfilter in, probably froze it.
Second run, no filter everything else the same (except I forgot to log it). Launched nice, felt the nitrous pulling hard, thru 1st, hit 2d, and POP, a slight stutter and then it laid down again but this time it was running a little rough and not feeling right.
Packed it up, swapped tires and called it a night. If I had to guess I think I tore up a couple spark plugs, but tomorrow will tell.

No more nitrous expirementing for me!

Timing was 19* at highest load, and O2's were around 918mV or so...wideband was inop. I hope its just some plugs. Idle is slightly rough, and uphill load it and she pops and sputters a little, level load less popping but pulls decent.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails Single Digit run was a no-go :(-plug-7-last-race-day.jpg   Single Digit run was a no-go :(-all-plugs-last-race-day.jpg  

Last edited by CAT3; 04-02-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn!

Hope she fair well. Just remember when those strapp's blow off....they usualy go some where...

Good luck!
Old 04-02-2006, 03:18 AM
11 Second Club

Damn man i hope its just plugs aswell.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Teching In

just hope you only find something like this...

These were the new style plugs for the 4.6 3v, those solid (from 1 end of the plug to the other) grounding straps let go with some minor detonation (too much timing left in it) months ago with only an NX 100 wet shot. I was "blessed" without rough driving or any other known damage and 9,000 miles later I will finally be spraying again.

I hope your search turns up nothing more than some mangled plugs.

-Dan
Old 04-02-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Charlie,
Sorry you didn't get to make your runs. Hope the motors well, let us know.
Mark
Old 04-02-2006, 08:30 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have to take the filter out when i ran the kit Charlie. even if it hadnt froze off it would be soaken wet from condensation after a pass. Hope it was just the plugs did you have the old flashing SES light from random missfires?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CAT3
Well, our track was closing tonight so I scrambled to get ready for the last night of racing. The 9" rearend had its break in and it was time to go for it. 2 x 10lb bottles filled, and 2gals of 103 race gas added to the last 2 gals of 92 pump. Mounted the tires as we waited for the gates to open, signed in and waited in stage lanes as they prepped the track.
First run, no jets for either stage (DRY), and both armed for one large shot out of the hole. Lights dropped and left hard, but without any purging of the line there was just enough delay to keep from spinning too badly. Bastard pulled hard thru 1st, nailed 2d around 6100rpms, and she was pulling....then it fell on its face, just bogged in a bad way. I pedaled it real quick, and she picked back up, hit 3rd and she laid down again. In the lanes for the next go I looked over the log, and seen the airflow. Damn it, I left the airfilter in, probably froze it.
Second run, no filter everything else the same (except I forgot to log it). Launched nice, felt the nitrous pulling hard, thru 1st, hit 2d, and POP, a slight stutter and then it laid down again but this time it was running a little rough and not feeling right.
Packed it up, swapped tires and called it a night. If I had to guess I think I tore up a couple spark plugs, but tomorrow will tell.

No more nitrous expirementing for me!

Timing was 19* at highest load, and O2's were around 918mV or so...wideband was inop. I hope its just some plugs. Idle is slightly rough, and uphill load it and she pops and sputters a little, level load less popping but pulls decent.

Charlie
I usually tune off my o2's also, cuz I don't have a wideband, I would think on a big shot of nitrous 918's would be a bit lean, I would shoot for 930's to 9.40's. So the track is now closed for how long Charlie? Sucks you couldn't get ur 9 sec pass, but hopefully you didn't hurt anything and it's just the plugs, i've melted the tip off a few and she's still ok, so I hope the same goes for you, let us know!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert
Old 04-02-2006, 01:02 PM
Restricted User

Pics posted. All the plugs looked very well used. Going to get a new set in a few, trying to take everything in first. I'm optimistic about nothing else getting hurt since I was able to drive her home (only a couple miles, but mostly uphill) from the track....thats my agreemement with her (the car), I'll buy her all the good go-go stuff, but she has to drive home, no tow trucks for us

I was thinking, in hindsight of course, that low 9xx is probably lean as well. And I actually contemplated increasing the pe and lower the timing, but got to mixed up in the game. Damn.

Track is closed due to lots of different reasons, basically a lease arguement vs EPA reg's. Racers have battled to keep our current track open til the new track is built, if ever, but those plans seemed to fail as well. I wont be racing again until I move to Arizona this summer. So, time for tuning and cruising. Might have to get some tuning issues worked out for that ~300shot again
Old 04-02-2006, 01:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lets hope it all works out well and she is OK

Track is closed due to lots of different reasons, basically a lease arguement vs EPA reg's. Racers have battled to keep our current track open til the new track is built, if ever, but those plans seemed to fail as well. I wont be racing again until I move to Arizona this summer. So, time for tuning and cruising. Might have to get some tuning issues worked out for that ~300shot again
And they wonder WHY there is street racing!
Old 04-02-2006, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Nice looking plugs Charlie.

I agree with Devon that you where probrably twards the lean side. For me about .940-60 on the narrow bands is usually about mid 11s on the LM-1.

Sorry to hear about your track. Should be nice to get back to main land though huh?
Old 04-02-2006, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

jebus the ground straps had to go somewhere
Old 04-02-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Holy **** dude, you got every plug! I'd definately work on fattenin her up!
Old 04-02-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Veteran

I would also increase the % of race gas. I would try to be as close to 103 actual octane as possible in the tank.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just run them bad boys through your portable plug sand blaster, re-gap and there good for another 100k. Oh the pains of going fast.

Robert
Old 04-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Restricted User

Guys, your all too funny.... And to think some ppl would have been crying at the track, I was just pissed she wouldnt run the numbers Found some TR6 on island, got home conducted a compression test and results are...well.... excellent, all cylinders within 15psi(highest to lowest), not percent, psi...awesome. New plugs gapped, anti-seized and installed, fired up and ran better then she did getting TO the track, OMG, maybe I had a burnt one prior, ooops Pulls stronger than before, and idles smoother now too.

I agree w/ Devon (seconded by Muscle and damn near everyone else) she needs a little richer And Al, normally I run 103 after emptying the tank, but this was a slight rush and I obviously didnt think things through too well, just glad the results were as they were.

red90cobra, I think I know where two of B1's went, and that straight out the primary into the O2 sensor, both have little dents in them, and I swapped them in yesterday before the race so had to be then. As well a fellow tech and racer, Chris McDaniel, 00BLKSS, seen "two red hot molten pieces of steel, or something come flying out the car about 200' mark" where he was observing from the bleachers. He thought it was from underneath, but everything is buttoned up tight, so it must have been the straps and porcelain.

Robert, you actually clean yours? Hell, regap and run em till they are no more! Oh wait, just did that
Old 04-02-2006, 05:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Guys, your all too funny.... And to think some ppl would have been crying at the track, I was just pissed she wouldnt run the numbers Found some TR6 on island, got home conducted a compression test and results are...well.... excellent, all cylinders within 15psi(highest to lowest), not percent, psi...awesome. New plugs gapped, anti-seized and installed, fired up and ran better then she did getting TO the track, OMG, maybe I had a burnt one prior, ooops Pulls stronger than before, and idles smoother now too.

I agree w/ Devon (seconded by Muscle and damn near everyone else) she needs a little richer And Al, normally I run 103 after emptying the tank, but this was a slight rush and I obviously didnt think things through too well, just glad the results were as they were.

red90cobra, I think I know where two of B1's went, and that straight out the primary into the O2 sensor, both have little dents in them, and I swapped them in yesterday before the race so had to be then. As well a fellow tech and racer, Chris McDaniel, 00BLKSS, seen "two red hot molten pieces of steel, or something come flying out the car about 200' mark" where he was observing from the bleachers. He thought it was from underneath, but everything is buttoned up tight, so it must have been the straps and porcelain.

Robert, you actually clean yours? Hell, regap and run em till they are no more! Oh wait, just did that
Too be honest dude, you should bring some extra plugs with you to the strip, I do, I can't believe she drove home with the plugs like that! All the LS1!!!!!!!!! I broke a valvespring all the way in bradenton a few years ago when she was cam only and I was able to shut that cylinder off and drive her home almost 250 miles w/ no damage, changed springs when I got home and she was good as new, these engines are amazing!!!!!
Old 04-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Restricted User

I used to have a set of new plugs I'd take, after my nitrous cherry was popped by too much timing and burnt one plug. I used those plugs for a H/C swap I did for someone, and then kept a set of used ones. After not needing them for so long, I cleaned out the old track bag and viola, the day I do, was the day I needed them! She drove home with min. popping, idled fine, and made it the few miles, most up a very San Fransisco type grade long hill to boot. Inspiring to say the least. Just got back from downtown area and she was wanting to spread her legs, so I WOT a few times and she purred back with pleasureful sign of gratitude. So happy.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Junkie

I used to have a set of new plugs I'd take, after my nitrous cherry was popped by too much timing and burnt one plug. I used those plugs for a H/C swap I did for someone, and then kept a set of used ones. After not needing them for so long, I cleaned out the old track bag and viola, the day I do, was the day I needed them! She drove home with min. popping, idled fine, and made it the few miles, most up a very San Fransisco type grade long hill to boot. Inspiring to say the least. Just got back from downtown area and she was wanting to spread her legs, so I WOT a few times and she purred back with pleasureful sign of gratitude. So happy.
Yeah dude, after I burned 3 plugs at bmp, I was so happy when I changed the plugs and headed out to the track and got a new all motor best, I was like alrighty then, guess she's alright!!!! We were gonna do a leakdown on her the night before goin to the track, but the crappy spark plug adapter thing broke off in the spark plug hole and we had to use an extractor drill bit or whatever that thing is called (havin a brain fart right now) to get it out. We did a compression test and it all checked out, so the big test was the next day when I went racing and like I said, right off the street I got a new all motor best that day, so I was happy to say the least!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 AM
8 second mod

new plugs are a must. ****, i change my plugs every time at the track. cheep insurance in my book. at minimum you should pull them out after each pass. or atleast pull the rear ones they burn up alot with dry or single style nossles and big shots.

looks like those plugs are ok tho. lol