Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Does the T56 have internal shift stops?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the T56 have internal shift stops?

Does the T56 have internal shift stops or do you need to use a shifter with shift stops?
According to Sallee chevrolet if you use an aftermarket shifter you should remove it's shift stops. I plan to use the stock shifter for a while. Do I need to worry about yanking the shifter too hard and breaking a fork?
I'm also going to use a Lou's Short Stick. Anyone using one of these?
Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may have considerable arm strength but you will never( yes never) bend a shift fork by "yanking" on the stick. If you miss a shift( clashing) you can damage the linkage with the gear rejecting( clashing) the synchro sleeve. Stops do nothing for this.If you look inside a T56 you would know that there are several control features that limit travel. Bottom line stops sell shifters to those who don't know better. I would thank the folks at Sallee for the straight info. as they know what they are talking about.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not necessarily disagreeing with calhoon here, but the only situation that I could see a stop being useful would be for 4th gear, if you have a tendency to pull really hard to put it in gear. That's where an over-extension of the shift (pulling back hard to 4th) will pop slider teeth out and get it stuck in 4th - and then when you try to get it out of 4th, you'll either break the sliders or break the fork (the only reason not to run billet slider keys).

I have seen a the nub on the shift selector plate guide damaged (only half of it left). A stop would be a band-aid in that situation, but really isn't a good substitute for that.

Quick Reply: Does the T56 have internal shift stops?